His Next Victim Part 15

His Next Victim

Chapter 14

Cain's POV

I walked down the long driveway rolling my feet to make sure no noise could be heard. For all I know, they could have surveillance everywhere, but I was hoping that my all black gear would keep me from showing up on all cameras. If I was dealing with Jade, I just looked like a complete idiot, because knowing her the cameras would be heat sensitive, and she would just see a blob of heat where I walked.

The cabin finally came into view, and my heart flipped in my chest. I was almost positive that she was somewhere here. The small black thing I saw on my way out looked very much like a camera and why someone that wasn't hiding anything would need cameras around their cabin was the main question that floated around in my head.

The curtains flickered causing me to fall onto the ground in reflex. The gravel crunched into my palms. Why the hell did I not wear gloves? The rocks were scraping my hands, and I could feel a little bit of blood trickling from them. Hey, at least if I die tonight there will be some of my DNA at the scene. Finally, after about ten minutes of lying on the ground, I stood up and advanced towards the cabin once more.

I made it to the side of the house. Pressing my back into the wooden planks, I tried to figure out exactly what I was going to do. Just busting in there like an idiot wouldn't work. I didn't bring anything with me besides my gun. So, what the hell am I doing?

All the lights in the cabin went out, and I instantly went on alert. If something shady was happening here, then I couldn't afford to be relaxed. What the hell did I get myself into? I have no idea if it's even Jade in this cabin or some drug lord. Either way, I was going in and doing my job. I wouldn't let her get away from me this time.

I went to the door without making any noise. The tricky part would be the porch and stairs. If they creek, then it may wake the people who were in the house. My luck was strong though; none of the boards made a noise as I tiptoed over them. Reaching my hand out, I was surprised when it threw open on its own. Someone grabbed my hand and pulled me in the cabin.

Something made contact with the side of my head, and just like the last day I saw Jade, I gave into the darkness.

****

Jade's POV

"Did you really have to hit him?" I asked Jeff. I didn't know whether I should be annoyed or begin to laugh. Cain's face when Jeff grabbed his hand was hilarious. I've never seen a grown man so scared in my life.

He just shrugged at me and sent me a smile. "It's more fun this way. Plus, it was easier to tie him up this way."

"Very true," I said while glancing at Cain's slouched body. He was tied to a wooden chair. The rope was wound around him so tight, that he wouldn't be able to reach that gun that was still attached to his hip. Call me stupid, but I felt wrong about taking away a man's gun when I know for a fact he has no intention of using it on us.

"You sure you want to talk to him? We could leave him here and be gone before he wakes."

"I'm sure, Jeff. I kinda missed him and after all this is over, I'm going to let him catch me. You know that right? I'll be put in prison for a while, or I can pay bail. Hell, I could even find a lawyer to represent me that's badass. Buy off the judge. I just need to finish this before I'm brought to justice."

He looked at me in exasperation. "Jade, it's not your job to go around and hunt these guys down, and you know it."

"We already talked about this. I can't just let them live. My brother started this mess, and I plan on ending it. Plus, I have the list."