Chapter Four: My Only Friend

Dipper stared at Bill for a long moment before taking a deep breath. Then he said, shakily, "What?" again, this time more scared than angry and confused.

This newly-formed demon's intentions were completely unexpected and slightly suspicious. Dipper silently tried to calculate the ways that this demon could use this against him. Bill laughed at this, obviously reading the young man's thoughts.

He ruffled Dipper's hair softly.

"Relax, kid," Bill said, "I promise I won't do anything horrible to you. I only want to be your friend." Then he added, "You know what friends are, right?"

Dipper glared at him. "No shitting, I know what friends are. But you are not- and will never be- my friend! Remember when you invaded my uncle's mind? And when you possessed my body? How could I possibly trust you enough to be your friend."

Bill placed his hand over his chest, pretending to be offended. Then he grinned and said, "Pine Tree, that's water under the bridge. And besides, that was eight years ago." Then he softened his grin to a soft smile and looked at Dipper, saying, "I missed you, kid. Things aren't fun without you around."

Dipper was looking down with his hands in his hair, but at the demon's words, he looked up and hissed, "What?"

Bill nodded. "You heard me, kid! You're fun! And so is your sister, Shooting Star! I'd love to have the both of you as my friends!"

Dipper glared at him and quickly got out of the bed. His eyes were filled with anger and hatred, his hands balled up into fists. "You stay away from Mabel," he growled. "Lay one finger on her and I swear I'll-"

Bill held up his hands in mock surrender. "Okay, kid, geez," he said, "I'll leave your sister alone. But, if it makes you feel better, I haven't bothered her at all."

"How is that supposed to make me feel better? You're bothering me! I want you out of my head and back to hell or wherever you cam from immediately!"

The demon grinned at this, his one eye glowing an ominous yellow. "I like you more now, kid. Your attitude. You've changed. Grown some backbone. It seems as if you'll be able to handle anything that comes your way."

The young man hesitated. Then he asked, "Are you threatening me?"

"Well, obviously."

Dipper laughed at this. "Well, friends don't threaten each other."

"That's just it! You're refusing to be my friend, so I'm threatening you because we're not! But when we become friends I'll treat you like how friends treat one another."

"I don't think you understand how friendship works," Dipper said, lowering his hands and staring at the demon in awe. "In order to make friends, you need trust and respect. And you're not respecting me, and I don't trust you. So consider that not an option, Cipher."

Bill tapped his chin in thought, staring a the cieling. This went on for a few mintues, and the silence was practically killing Dipper. Then Bill looked at him again, grinning.

"Hmm," he said, "those are some decent ideas. I'll have to remember them so we can become friends."

Dipper growled, "We are not-"

"How do you know that, Pine Tree? I'm very good with persuasion, I must remind you." Then he got out of the bed and leaned against his cane, smiling at Dipper warmly. The young man responded by taking a few steps backwards, staggering and falling down.

The demon snickered. "You're pathetic," he said. "That'll make it all the more fun to mess with you, mentally of course." Then he laughed hysterically, the sound echoing around and entering Dipper's ears. He covered his ears with his hands and closed his eyes, whispering swear words under his breath.