Chapter 27~ One long journey later!

Start from the beginning

After about a fifteen minute jog through the woods the five of you were now standing in front of a fairy tale style castle coated in red hearts. From stain glass windows to roof tiles, hearts were the main theme.

"Welcome to the castle of hearts," Peter said as he opened the grand gate.

"Never would have guessed," Axel's voice was thick with sarcasm. You all walked down the grand halls following after Peter. His expression growing grimmer as you continued. It was starting to worry you. Peter stopped outside a door, unmoving, ears high, listening.

"Are we going in?" you asked as the rabbit gulped.

"Yes" he sighed placing a paw on the handle and opening it. The door opened slowly to reveal I tall woman dressed in deep red. She had beautiful, long, flowing, black hair and a flawless, pale complexion. She was sitting on a golden throne surrounded by her knights. You were a little taken aback, feeling like you were staring at a beautiful painting rather than real life. Instantly the illusion was shattered by the shrill, screech that escaped her lips.

"Off with his head!" She wailed. Guards immediately flew toward the rabbit, seizing him. Each guard wore a shiny suit of armour, adorned with a varying card suit and number.

"Hold it," you stepped forward, brow furrowed. "What did he do?"

"He was late to tea with the queen, a horrid crime indeed," she squawked. "And who are you?"

"I'm -------, I'm here about the problem you've been having with time," you explained.

"Off with her head," the queen squealed. Instantly you had a guard on either arm.

"What for?" Axel yelled back as the other boys started trying to pull you from the guards steely grasp.

"For admitting to the crime of altering time."

"I didn't cause it, I'm here to fix it," I fussed.

"The problem will be solved with the beheading of this time changing sorcerous," the queen huffed.

'So I best not use any magic in front of her then'  you mentally sighed to yourself.

"Look the time problem is coming from the clock tower," Gray tried to explain. The queen's eyes flicked to Gray, a ruby red colour taking over her cheeks.

"Wh-what do you mean?" she stammered, eyes all twinkly.

"There is a monster in the clock tower causing this problem. My friends and I have asked for the help of this rabbit in escorting us to the tower to deal with the beast and return time to its usual state." He explained. He seemed to notice the queen's attraction to him and was trying to use it to your advantage.

"Well- ah- you- you must go then. Guards release them." She ordered. "I order the five of you to go to the clock tower and solve this crime"

"I don't-" you began to fuss, angry she was giving orders but Gray lightly nudged you in the side wanting you to shut up before you caused more damage to the situation.

"Be sure to come back soon," The Queen cooed as you all shuffled out of the room.

"Awe lover boy your lady's waiting," Zack chuckled.

"When this is over where getting straight off this world," Gray sighed as the rest of you laughed. He seemed to be the romantic target of the eccentric type. 'Poor Gray'  you chuckled to yourself.

After one more lengthy walk through the woods, you were finally at the entrance to the maze. It was made of thick green hedges that storied a good four meters tall but surprisingly clipped into perfect shape.

"I'd hate to be the caretaker of this thing," Zack stared in awe.

"It's a self-maintenance hedge. It takes care of itself." Peter said as he stepped into the maze.

"It's what?!" Zack's eyes almost feel out of his head.

"I think its best you stop asking questions. It seems to be having a negative impact on your health." You patted him on the back before following the rabbit.

"This place is insane," he let out a breath following the pack.

You'd been walking for a while now but kept noticing rustling and moving from within the hedge.

"Hey Peter I think there's something in there," you whispered eyeing the hedge.

"It's just the hedge growing and moving," he replied nonchalantly.

"What? Growing? Moving? What? Axel asked. With his question the hedge suddenly pulled together behind him blocking the path you'd come down.

"What the hell?" You turned back the four of you in shock while Peter walked on like nothing was wrong.

"The hedge is always changing. You should keep up if you don't want to get separated." Peter called back. The four of you jogged to catch up, all walking closer together than ever before.

"If it's always changing how do you always know the way?" Axel asked.

"I always get to the other side."

"So you don't know the way?" Gray questioned.

"If you walk long enough you'll come out on the other side." The rabbit answered like it was just some everyday simple task.

"Great," you sighed slightly deflated.

The five of you had been walking for who knows how long when all of a sudden you rounded a corner and there it was, the exit, a good fifty meter straight line dash in front of you.

"Found it!" Zack exclaimed and with that the hedge started to move. The sound of leaves rustling and twigs snapping filled the air.

"Oh no you don't. Run for it!" you yelled taking off toward the shrinking exit. The five of you went barrelling down the path, twigs reaching out and snagging at your clothes, scratching at your skin but no one stopped. The end was in sight and you weren't going to let it slip through your fingers.

With one last push the five of you flew through the exit landing in a heap on the floor.

"We made it!" Zack cheered untangling himself from the mass. You all got up cheering, hugging, high fiving. It was so much longer than any of you had anticipated and it felt so good to finally be here. Axel wrapped you in a hug lifting you up and spinning you around as Zack did the same with Peter.

"Unhand me," Peter fussed and you all started laughing as the boys put the two of you down. However the happy moment was short lived when you felt a cold shiver run down your spine.

'Oh god no.'

"Took you long enough."

A/N: Mwahaha, who could that be? What's up guys? It's been way too long and I'm soooo sorry. Uni finished and then I got sick and I didn't want you to have to read the incoherent thoughts of my fevered brain. I'm mostly better now so I'm writing again, yay! Hope you enjoyed the long overdue update. Should be more soon. See ya in the next chapter!