Always The Second Choice

~~~EXCERPT~~~

Nicola sighed and tapped on the mic. "It's been two years." Any residual chatter subsided as she began to speak. "Dominic and I aren't the best of matches. But I like to believe that we are making it work somehow. Somewhat."

She cleared her throat, feeling Dominic's intent eyes on her. It was probably the longest he had heard her speak. Everyone knew that though Nicola spoke so little, she was good at giving speeches. She was good with her words even though her conversational skills sucked.

"I would like to thank you all for being here tonight and taking part in our happiness, in our hope and faith for the future. Thank you very much, all of you." She wrapped it up as quickly as she could, not saying anything more regarding her wretched marriage.

Nicola Grant was an honest gal and she did not want to unnecessarily spew nonsense to sweeten anybody's ears.

A small applause later, Melanie mouthed 'charity' towards Dominic.

He nodded and turned on his mic. "On the occasion of our second anniversary, Natasha and I would like to-"

The crowd gasped and immediately burst into chatter.

It took Dominic two seconds to realize his blunder.

Natasha and I.

His wife's name was Nicola.

Dominic's eyes sought his wife's, guilt and embarrassment evident in his. But she was not looking at him. She was watching the reaction of the crowd.

Her eyes fell on Stacia and Malcolm. Pity and guilt.

On her mother and father. Humiliation.

Maverick. Pity.

Benjamin and Melanie. Disappointment.

All the other eyes on her. Pity.

Pity.

Pity.

Pity.

And something just snapped. Something that should have a long time ago.

She slowly brought the mic towards her lips as Dominic took a step towards her, ready to apologize.

The uproar subsided as they got ready for her words.

"He's not wrong, you know."

"What are you talking about?" Dominic whispered.

"It is as much the anniversary of their affair as it is of my wedding." More gasps and chatter. "It's all one and the same."

.

.

.

Nicola married Dominic, a man twelve years older than her, in place of her sister for the sake of her happiness. It was a sacrifice she never regretted but when rumors of an affair fly, she decides that she had had enough. But Dominic cannot afford an affair or divorce scandal right now and he is a man on a mission to make his wife stay in this marriage until the end of his convenience. And he will make sure of it by hook or by crook.

.

.

.

_____________________________

CHECK THE NEW BOOK OUT IN MY PROFILE!