Chapter 34 (Broken Pieces)

A/N: The italicized words are flashbacks, just want to give you guys a heads-up so you won't be confused with what's happening in this chapter :)

Enjoy! :)))

P.S. Ignore the mistakes :)

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Dylan Reed ♔

I stared at her retreating back, dumbfounded by what she said. I had to rewind the shit that just happened in the last two fucked up minutes in my life. Did I hear her right or do I need to get my ears check? I grabbed her hand so that I can confirm if I heard it right.

Hailey was quiet behind me, I didn't need to turn around to know that her mouth is agape. "She...loves you?" She managed to let out.

I turned around and gave her the same expression. "Okay, so I wasn't the only one who heard that."

Hailey covered her mouth with her hands. "Holy shit, she actually loves you!" She squealed.

I nearly burst in joy until I remembered her parting words. I hate you! My mood suddenly fell as reality slapped me in the face. Yeah, she loved me, but now she doesn't, she hates me. "I fucked up, big time." I mumbled, walking towards the front doors.

Hailey caught up behind me. "What are you talking ab--"

"What I'm talking about is that she hates me! She loathes me! And it's all because of that stupid plan I came up with." I grew quiet on the last sentence and stopped walking, I stared at my shoes. "You don't see her the way I do, I saw the hatred and betrayal burning in her eyes and it was directed at me." I whispered. "I thought it would work the way I thought it would, but I didn't think it would go this far."

The hurt finally revealed itself in her eyes the moment I saw her around the corner, all the emotion she was hiding for a month finally unmasked itself and it was clear on her face. I don't want to see her the way I saw her mere minutes ago, I don't want to make her mad, I don't like making her sad, I only want to be the reason why she smiles. But I didn't think that making her jealous by fake being in love with Hailey would hurt her this much.

I remembered the words my teammates told me in the locker room, what Denver whispered in my ear a month ago that made me snap on the inside and I meant everything I said.

---

"Hey, now that your dating Hailey, I think I have a chance with pretty little Steph there." He chuckled, gesturing her.

I pushed him against the lockers, creating a loud 'bang!' and nearly slammed his head against the cold hard metal door. "Fuck off!" When he didn't move, I was tempted to ram his head against the locker. "Are you deaf or you don't have enough brain cells to understand what I said? I said fuck off! Touch her and I'll break your neck like a toothpick." I threatened and meant it.

Denver gave me a frightened nod and scrambled off with his fuckboys. My head was boiling, my blood felt like it burning and I was tempted to blow off some steam on someone. People kept looking at me which made me angrier. "What are you shits looking at?" I shouted, they all shifted their eyes on something that is not me.

Hailey, playing as the good girlfriend act, wrapped her arms around my waist and mumbled low enough for only me to hear. "Calm down, she's worried and scared, just remember that no one will dare touch her when you're around." She whispered. I stole a half-second glance at Steph and started to calmed down.

---

I walked outside, getting angry at myself for being so dumb to even think of that plan. It was supposed to stop after the elimination round, I was supposed to tell her that I wrote the song for her, I wanted to tell her to get over how Austin treated her, hearing her cry because she can't get over their breakup over a year ago makes me break inside. I want to be the one to always comfort her, I want to be the reason why she forgot she and Austin were together.