Chapter 25 (Little Surprise)

"Awwww, can't we stay a day longer? How about two? Better yet, three?" Scott chirped as he jumped up an down.

Aunt Marie ran her fingers through his brown locks and frowned. "Sorry dear, I have to get back to work tomorrow. You know mommy is always busy, and I don't want them to tire themselves by looking after you."

"But mommy, I already stayed here one time on my own, can't I do it again?" He pouted.

"I told you that we'll only stay until after Christmas, I asked you if it was fine and you said yes, so you can't take your words back." She ruffled his hair as she zipped her bag.

Scott turned to me. "Can I call up Dylan using your phone again? Please?"

"No, the last time I let you talk to Dylan before you left, you talked for nearly an hour. Who knows, it might take an entire day just to get the phone back from you."

Hailey came in through the front door. "Marie, all of your luggage is up and loaded, you're all ready to go."

Aunt Marie nodded and took Scott's wrist. "Awwww, do we really have to go?" He protested.

It took ten minutes just to get Scott out of the door, another ten to pull him all the way to the car. But then he said he needed to pee, which meant bringing him back inside the house, delaying their trip even more, then it took fifteen minutes to drag him back to the car.

Hailey crashed on the couch once Mom and Dad drove off with Aunt Marie and Scott. "Finally, Christmas is over, the house is quiet for the first time since Christmas break." She sighed.

I nodded and started to walk towards the stairs. "I'm up for a movie marathon, care to join me?" I just want a lazy day today, I don't feel like going out today.

"You didn't need to ask." Hailey joined in beside me. Once we reached my room, I set up the player, dragged the beanbags in front of the TV and crashed down. Hailey was surfing through my collection of movies when I felt something vibrate in my back pocket. I pulled it out and saw that it was a text from Dylan telling me to meet him in the address he sent to me.

"Hey Hailey, I forgot that I need to go somewhere." I said, putting my phone back in my pocket and got up.

She sighed and nodded. "Sure, there's nothing good to watch anyway, I'll just stick to regular TV."

I felt guilty for leaving her, she just wants to do something with me and I was going to ditch her. I walked over to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders and gave her a half-hug. "I swear I'll come back as soon as I can, it'll just be quick."

She gave me a smile and nodded. I walked out of the room and left the house. The address Dylan texted me is one of the cafes near his house, it's probably a twenty minute walk from mine but I don't care since I used to go to that cafe a lot when the weather is really cold like now.

I wonder what does Dylan want now, if he's planning on tutoring me at a cafe then he has more chances of me throwing a cup of coffee at his face than getting me to study calculus on winter break. His reason better be worth walking through this cold, it's getting colder each day and I just want to stay in my house, watching movies under the covers.

I spotted a familiar shade of blond half a block away and started to walk faster. "This better be worth my freezing feet." I said once I reached him.

His grin grew wider when he heard me. "Depends on you if it is worth it, how about I make it up to you over coffee?" He offered.

"What are we standing here for? I'm not getting any younger here, let's go." I pushed him inside the cafe. The roasted smell of coffee drifted up my nostrils and my mouth started to water. It was cozy inside and my hands started to thaw from the ice, Dylan pulled off his beanie and I slid into an empty booth. I told Dylan to order some coffee and he rolled his eyes and went to the counter in reply.