Late Nights and Motel Rooms

Ava POV

I was freezing in my high waisted shorts and loose tank top. It usually gets hot in those concert venues, so I thought I would be okay. Obviously I wasn't expecting things to turn out this way.

I wiped my runny nose with the back of my cold hand, before wrapping my arms around myself, trying to get some sort of warmth. My bare legs were numb and shaking. I had no idea where I was going, but I knew it was going to be far away from Calum.

It was so dark outside, the only thing lighting the vacant streets was the dim streetlights. I had an eerie feeling that someone was watching me, but I pushed it to the back of my mind. All those horror movies are starting to go to my head. But maybe it wouldn't be so bad if someone came and hacked me into a million pieces, because then I wouldn't be left alone with my thoughts, and no one to talk to tonight.

I took my phone out of my back pocket and checked the time, ignoring all the missed calls and texts from the boys. It was 1:13 in the morning. I had been walking in the 50 degree weather for about an hour now, and I still haven't found a place to stay for the night. I think it's safe to say that I am completely lost. And as if things couldn't get any worse, it started raining.

I was starting to wish that I was still in New York, so I could call Ashlyn, or even Jack, to come pick me up, but I can't. My stupid brain remembered Calum, and screwed everything up. The part that still doesn't make sense to me is the fact that he went through so much trouble to get me back, and then hit me where it hurt most. He knows how I feel about that. He knows that that is a sensitive topic for me.

Why would I be happy that nobody wants me? My own parents didn't want me, and now Calum doesn't want me anymore. But they should realize how lucky they are that they can just push me out of their life's. But me... I have to live with myself everyday. I can't just get rid of myself. I have to live with everyone hating me, and right now, that even includes me.

I stopped walking, when I realized I was unwanted by everyone. All my life I was the only friend I had, but tonight, it's like that friendship was never even there.

I looked around, trying to find some sort of shelter, to get me out of this pouring rain. My eyes landed on a bright motel sign, and I was glad that I had my wallet.

"I need a room," I said through chattering teeth, to the man at the front desk. He gave me a sympathetic smile, before holding up a finger and going to the back room. While I waited for him to return, I took in my surroundings.

This was a pretty run down place. It was small, single story. The office was detached from the motel rooms. It smelled like an old person's house would smell. The paint was peeling off the walls in some places, and there was random stains on the ceiling in certain areas. This motel was probably older than me, and it was in desperate need of a renovation.

"Room for one," I heard the man say, coming out of the back room, with a key in hand.

"Thanks. How much for just tonight?" I didn't really know what my plan was, but I didn't want to stay here for longer than one night. This place probably had bed bugs.

"On the house." He gave me a smile, making me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

"I have money..." I trailed off, avoiding eye contact.

"It's all over the internet." I felt my stomach sink, hearing those words.

"What's all over the internet?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"You've been through a lot tonight. Besides, it's not like we get a lot of business here anyways, so let's just keep this our secret, okay?"

"Thank you." I turned around, walking to the door, before his voice stopped me.

"You deserve better than him, Ava." It felt like his words wrapped around my neck, trying to strangle me, before going down my throat, choking me until I could barely breathe.

Because he was wrong. He was so, so wrong. I don't deserve better than Calum. Calum deserves better than me. It wasn't a secret, and I was tired of everyone pretending like it was.

Instead of arguing with the nameless man, I gave him a tight lipped smile, and continued out the door. I looked down at the key and saw the number 19 written on it in black Sharpe.

Once I found my room, I decided to call one of the boys. I just wanted to let them know I was okay, so that they didn't call the cops or anything. I clicked on Luke's contact, and pushed the call button, but my heart sank, when he didn't answer.

"Hey, my phone is about to die and I don't have the charger for it. I just wanted to tell you that I am okay, and you don't need to worry about me. I'm at a motel. I have money, so everything is fine. You don't need to worry about me. I'll be okay. I'm going to do what Michael told me. I'm going to delete my social media, get a new number, and move into an apartment. Tell Ash and Mikey that I said goodbye and that I love them. I'm going to miss you guys. I love you, Luke. Thanks for being my best friend. Maybe we'll run into each other again, one day. I really hope I see you again. But until then... I guess this is goodbye." After leaving the message, I walked into the bathroom, looking into the mirror. I was a complete mess. My hair was dripping wet and had knots all over in it, my makeup was running down my face from the rain, and my eyes were red.

I turned the hot water on, in the shower, and started peeling my wet clothes off my body. I was starting to wish I brought my suitcase with me. I hung up the dripping material, hoping they will dry, while I shower.

*

I woke up to loud knocking on the door, which actually scared me. It sound like someone was trying to kick the door in. I scrambled out of bed, and opened it, only to see the man from last night.

"Hey," he awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Hi," I looked at his brown eyes, but looked away quickly. They definitely were not as inviting as Calum's eyes.

"I was just making sure you were okay."

"You what?" I asked, giving him a confused look. Is it normal for motel employees to check on their customers?

"I mean, it's 2 in the afternoon, and you were supposed to check out an hour ago."

"Oh, sorry! I was just asleep, and-" I stopped talking, when I realized what he said. "Did you say it was 2?"

"Yeah."

"Like, in the afternoon?" No, no, no, no, no, no!

"I believe so, yes. Is there a problem?"

"No. Not at all." I gave him a weary smile, before running back inside to grab my phone and the key. I quickly ran back to him, placing the silver key in his hand, yelled goodbye, and booked it down the street, away from view.

I leaned against the side of a vacant building, reminding myself to take deep breaths. I certainly did not feel up to having a panic attack. I hadn't really thought this through. The boys are supposed to be leaving in an hour. They are probably at the airport already.

I looked at my phone, tightly gripped in my sweaty hand. Last night it was at 5%, when I turned it off. I decided to turn it back on, and silently prayed that it would last through a phone call. I decided against calling Luke, because he'd probably yell at me for the message I left him last night. Ashton would probably try to convince me to come back. I definitely was not going to call Calum, so Michael seems like the best option at the moment.

"AVA!" he screamed so loud, causing me to jerk the phone away from my ear.

"Michael, I only have 2% left. I don't know what I'm going to do. I-"

"Where are you?" He interrupted me.

"I don't know. I stayed at the Pink Motel-" and then my phone died.

I'm not entirely happy with this chapter and that last one sucked, so my apologies.