Mastermind

Luke POV

*Previously*

I heard the crowd scream, as we played the first notes of Amnesia, the last song of the night. I turned from the sea of people, to look towards my right. I made eye contact with Calum, who just subtly shook his head 'no', meaning he didn't want to sing. Michael took over the first verse, while I walked over to Calum, and quietly begged him to keep it together. When I was positive he wasn't going to have a break down, I walked back to my microphone, and sang the second verse. But when we started singing the second chorus, I noticed Calum take off his base, and wipe tears off his face, as he walked off stage. After the song finished, I found him on the tour bus, laying face down on his bunk.

"You don't need to say anything," he said, the pillow muffling his words. He rolled over to face me, that's when I noticed his wet, red cheeks. "I'm going to fly to New York tomorrow. I figured, I can try one more time to get her back. And if that doesn't work... I need you to promise me something." His voice sounded hoarse, and he looked exhausted.

"Promise you what?" I surprised myself, when my voice came out in a whisper.

"Promise, that if she doesn't remember me, and if I give up on myself, you'll be there for my mum and sister, you'll find a replacement for the band, and you don't let anyone blame Ava." He had a strong tone, but I could see right through it. I knew he was terrified. I was terrified, too.

"What do you mean by give up on yourself?" I hope he didn't mean what I think he means.

"I'm not going to be able to survive an other day, without her."

"No!" I know that now isn't the time to be yelling at him, but I'm trying to stop the tears from coming. "I'm not- I'm not going to let you." I had a hard time getting the next sentences out, as uncontrollable sobs sounded from my dry mouth. "I'm not going to let you kill yourself. I already lost Ava, I don't want to lose you. We can find an other way-"

"There isn't an other way!" It was his turn to yell, as I curled into a ball on the floor, crying. "Can't you see that? Can't you tell that-"

"That's enough, Calum." We both turned our heads to see Michael and Ashton standing in the door way. "You're not killing yourself. You have too much to live for." Michael's voice sounded strict, but reassuring, to me at least.

"What? What do I have to live for, besides this stupid band? We all know we're never going to be as good as One Direction. We all know we aren't getting anywhere on this stupid tour. I'm sick of pretending like we're something that we're not. I'm sick of all of you pretending like Ava is going to remember. I'm sick of living." His voice cracked on the last sentence. Calum looked like he was about to breakdown at any moment, but Ashton looked furious.

"Don't talk about this band like that. This band is the best thing that has ever happened to you."

"This band is far from it. I would still have Ava, if it weren't for this band. You can pretend all you want, but I'm done being held back, by you guys. I'm done with pretending that we actually have a shot at making it. None of you want to accept the reality of this band, but I need to move on with my life." He took one last look at my sobbing figure, before walking off the bus, but Ashton still wasn't done with this argument. He followed Calum off the bus, and Michael followed Ashton, so I followed Michael.

"How are you supposed to move on with your life, if you're so freaking hung up on Ava?" The volume of his voice was deafening. Calum stopped dead in his tracks, his back turned toward us. Ashton walked up right behind Calum, while Michael stayed with me by the door of the tour bus, trying to get me to stop crying.

"I can't believe you said that," Calum finally whispered, his back still towards Ashton. "And you wonder why I'm leaving you all?" He turned around, with a sarcastic smile on his face and tears in his eyes. "I'm quitting the band. I'm going to New York. Nobody follow me." He turned back around, and started to walk away.

I, however, was not going to let him go alone.

*Present Time*

I was pacing back and forth in front of Calum's hotel room, nervously biting my fingernails. I hope this goes to plan.

My mum is going to kill me, if she finds out I was the mastermind behind a kidnapping.