Reality

Calum POV

*One Year Prior*

"Wait, wait, wait. I-I don't- wait. No, just... wait. Are- are you, like, are you serious? Like, you're not joking? What? No. Just, wait. I can't- I just- I don't even- you're sure you aren't kidding?" Ava's face was bright red, and she was having a hard time forming whole sentences.

"I'm not joking at all, Ave." I gave her a smug smile, and tried to contain my excitement, and act like this was no big deal.

"Okay," she took a deep breath, like she was trying to mentally prepare herself, before talking. "So... it's like, One Direction. Like... actually them," she said it as more of a statement, than a question.

"Yes."

"The actual One Direction. Like, the real One Direction?"

"No, the fake One Direction," I sarcastically replied.

"Calum! This is no time for sarcasm! Did you hear what you just told me? YOU ARE GOING ON TOUR WITH THE BIGGEST BOYBAND IN THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD!" She screamed right in my ear, but I don't think it was on purpose. "YOU'RE OPENING FOR THEM, ON THEIR 'WHERE WE ARE TOUR!' DO YOU KNOW HOW BIG THIS TOUR IS SUPPOSED TO BE?" After she screamed that, I got a bunch of cheers from the people that were in this overly crowded ice cream parlor.

"You don't even like One Direction," I laughed. "Why are you so excited about this?"

"Calum, this is huge! Your band is going to be huge! I can't even explain how proud I am of you." She leaned across the table and kissed my forehead.

"It's all thanks to you, Ave. If you would have let me quit, none of this would have happened."

"I love you." She gave me one of her gorgeous smiles, and stood up. "That's why you brought me here, right? Like, now that you're done we can go?"

"Yeah," I said, and stood up, as well. "Except the reason I brought you here, is because I love when you are on a sugar high."

"Last time I was on a sugar high, I almost jumped into a fountain."

*Present Time*

Sitting back on the plane, I laughed at the memory of Ava getting in trouble for trying to swim in a fountain at a zoo.

"What's so funny?" A girl with dark hair asked. She was the one sitting next to me on this ridiculously long flight.

"Just thinking about my gir-" I stopped myself, and cleared my throat. "Friend." She gave me a curious look, so I continued. "We were on a date-" I couldn't even finish, before I felt tears sting my eyes. I took in a deep breath, and turned my head away from the girl. I haven't really realized how lonely I am without Ava here.

"Are you okay?" The girl asked, putting her hand on my shoulder. Ava used to do that. I shrugged her hand off, and blinked away the tears.

"I'm just fine." I don't think the girl understood my sarcasm, because she smiled, a cheery smile.

"Anyways, continue with your story."

"I'm sorry, but I didn't get on this flight to make new friends." I instantly felt bad, after saying that. "I'm sorry. I'm just not myself."

"Don't worry about it. It's okay," she reassured me. "So I'm guessing that you just went through a break up."

"Is it really that obvious?" I groaned.

"No," she giggled. "I'm a fan of your band."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry about Ava, Calum," for once, her voice wasn't over-the-top cheery.