twenty-nine

Viscount William shivered as he sat on the stone cold floor. He felt his amputated legs beginning to feel numb as he felt helpless without his wheelchair. All he could think of was his wife and daughter's condition. A tear escaped his eye as he wiped it with his finger.

"William," the stern voice startled him out of his thoughts. He widened his eyes upon seeing the King finally granting him a visit.

"Your Majesty," he gathered his strength and bowed despite being injured due to being thrown around by the palace guards. The King frowned at the sight before him and sighed, "Do you have any requests or explanations to do?"

"I am not the culprit, Your Majesty. I have been one of your close men for years now. You even adore Juliette as your own. And I adored His Highness as my own before you sent him away to a school abroad. I have devoted myself to this country for years. I did not kill General George."

"And if I don't believe you?"

"Then I can't do anything but wait for what will happen. I will not fight, Your Majesty, as I believe you must have a reason for every of your decisions."

The King crouched down and held the dungeon bar, taking a closer look at his friend's amputated legs. "Are you alright, William?"

"I am, Your Majesty. You need not to worry."

"George is also a close friend of mine. One who has devoted to the kingdom way longer than you. I value you both the same. But to find out my own friend kills the person I dear."

"I did not do it, Your Majesty. But whatever that you feel is right, I ask for your forgiveness," the Viscount said ever so gracefully as if he was ready for what was ahead of him. It only made the King devastated and contemplated whatever decision he was about to make.

He stood back up and sighed, taking one last look at the poor Viscount before leaving with his guards.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Jake finally took his eyes off the papers and looked at the window, seeing the stars greeting him by twinkling. He rubbed his temples and stayed still for a while to gather his composure when the door to his office was suddenly slammed open.

Private Johnny and Ethan dragged an unknown man into the room before throwing them to the floor. "We have searched for the culprit of General George's murder like you asked, Your Grace."

Jake raised a brow and began walking around his desk before leaning against it. "So how much did you get? How much did that bastard prince give you?"

The man scoffed and spat on the floor. The Duke grimaced and exhaled as he rubbed the back of his neck, "Now I have to call someone to clean it. You have to know, I am a very clean person."

He approached the commoner and signalled Johnny and Ethan to hold him down. The two soldiers nodded and held the man roughly, making him face the Duke.

Jake stepped on the man's neck with a blank expression, burying his hands into his pockets. The man coughed as he tried to catch his breath, his face landing directly next to his spit.

"Lick it clean," Jake ordered sternly. Ethan began to drag the man's face across the floor, making sure the spit was wiped off clean.

"Listen, I really want to discuss this murder case with you nicely but since you showed no signs of getting along, I just have to handle it the hard way," Jake rolled his eyes and turned around to search for his gun.

"Why is it so fucking important to you? It's not even your father. He's just a useless viscount!"

"That's rich coming from a commoner like you," the Duke glared at him before aiming the gun.

"You caused quite a ruckus. And because of this ruckus, my father-in-law is arrested for false accusations. My partner has been devastated for a while and I don't like it when someone makes her worry. Especially if it's from a mere commoner like you."

"Please... Spare me! I'll do anything you want!"

"Oh, you will definitely do me a huge favour. By dying," Jake scratched his head in a relaxed manner with his gun. "I can send your body parts to His Highness as a souvenir, telling him he did a surprisingly good job for fucking with me."

The man widened his eyes when the Duke finally aimed back his gun towards him. Jake blew his head off and sighed before rummaging through his drawers for his favourite knife. "Hold him still," he ordered Johnny and Ethan who displayed no emotions as if they were used to doing these jobs.

Jake began slashing the man's neck until his head was cut off. "Prepare a gift box. Send this straight to the Prince's room."

"Any messages, Your Grace?"

"No need to help Juliette anymore. I found the culprit. You did a great job pissing me off. Don't expect me to go easy on you."

"Yes, Your Grace," Johnny and Ethan said in unison before saluting and dragging the lifeless man out of his office.