eight

Lady Jane held a cup of hot tea carefully as she brought it to her daughter. Queen Victoria sat next to her, placing a hand on the young girl's lap to comfort her.

"Are you ready to tell us now, dearest?" Her mother asked with a soft voice.

Juliette glanced at the two older women before taking a deep breath. "Ever since I met the Duke, my life has been a living hell. He has been tormenting me and when I asked why, he said it's because I'm interesting. That doesn't give him the right to bully me."

"You mean Jake? Of the Shim family?" Queen Victoria asked. Juliette nodded, "When I went to help my dad and his comrades at the military site, he was there. He purposely pushed his documents off the desk and told me to pick them up. When I did, he stepped on my hands."

"How dare he do that to my daughter," Lady Jane said with a clenched jaw of anger. "And during the grand ball, he made me drink alcohol for the first time and forced me to drink glass after glass," Juliette continued.

"Enough," the Queen suddenly stood up, "Jules, would you like me to speak with him about this?"

"No need. I just don't want to see him anymore. Please."

"I understand. Well, I guess I should excuse myself. My husband must've been waiting for me already," Queen Victoria flashed a small smile before being escorted to the door by Lady Jane.

Juliette watched their figures disappear into another room before sitting back down on the sofa. She ran her fingers through her hair before exhaling heavily. She was tired, mentally and physically.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Jay walked through the hallway of the palace since he was feeling bored. He suddenly bumped into his father and chuckled, "Dad! I didn't see you there."

King Albert flashed him a soft smile before putting his arm around his son's shoulders. They both stood in front of a beautiful painting on the wall. Jay continuously took a few glances at the old man before asking, "I noticed you like this painting so much. Where did you buy it?"

They both stared at the painting for a while, admiring how the colours combined to produce a calming atmosphere. It was a lake view of the Northern Kingdom.

"It is not easy to get this. That's why it is so special," King Albert sighed.

"Who's the artist? What makes the artist so special that my father spends most of his time admiring this art?"

"Juliette painted this."

Jay's eyes widened in surprise, "Juliette? How?"

"I've noticed her hobby of painting and drawing ever since she was little. She would always go to the forest to find something to draw. Whenever your mother and I visited her family's house, she was always gone and would come back happily to show us her drawings."

The prince's heart felt warm after hearing his father's story.

"Dad," he called. The King hummed in response before looking at his son.

"Do you think Juliette would want to paint me something if I ask her to?"

"So sudden? Why? Have you taken an interest in her art as well?"

"More like I've taken an interest in the artist instead."

The King couldn't help but scoff, "Good luck, son. She's a bit tough to win over."

"Why? You think I can't? Who wouldn't want to marry a prince?"

"Her."

Jay frowned as he watched his father leave him behind, "What do you mean?"

"She already has money. Her family is well-off. She also has a status. What else can you give her other than being a prince?"

Jay sighed before thinking for a while. He then looked again at the painting and smiled to himself, adoring how talented the woman he liked was.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Major General Anderson! We have intruders at the site!" A Private said in panic. Viscount William immediately got out of his tent and looked around, seeing no one running or screaming.

As he kept searching for his other comrades, loud gunshots started filling the silent atmosphere. Other soldiers were screaming and some were even bleeding in pain.

"We have an emergency! Make sure no one gets hurt anymore. Protect all the injured soldiers."

"Yes, sir!"

"Where's Major Shim?!" The Viscount asked worriedly as he picked up his gun.

"He's nowhere to be found, sir! I tried to find him but this place has been besieged so I can't move that further!"

"Okay, don't worry. Cover me and we'll try to find as many endangered soldiers as we can."