eighteen

Not a single day passed without anxiety. Juliette sat at the window nook as usual as she stared blankly at the view outside. Only God knew how much she had hoped for her father to appear at the manor's gates that instant.

She rested her head against the window and closed her eyes, exhaling heavily as she felt her heart becoming heavy minute by minute. The door to the living room opened, revealing her maid with two letters in her hand.

"Lady Juliette! There's a letter from the Viscount!"

Juliette jumped in surprise and immediately sprinted to the servant. She smiled in relief as she read her father's name on the envelope. Her attention soon changed to the other letter in the maid's hand.

"Who's that from?"

The maid cleared her throat awkwardly before saying, "It is from His Grace, the Duke."

An immediate frown crept up on Juliette's face as she took the letter from the servant's hand. The maid excused herself and left the room to give her lady some privacy.

Juliette sat on the sofa and began to tear Jake's envelope first as curiosity eventually caught her. Just seeing how he greeted her in the letter was enough to make her scoff in disbelief. Why on earth would he send me a letter?

Dearest Juliette,

All is well. Your father is alright. There are no attacks. Yet.

I hope you are keeping my watch with care as I am keeping your ribbon nicely with love. Ever since I kept it, it felt as if I had a lucky charm with me. As soon as I come back, I may ask you if I could keep it forever.

Do not be anxious. I will make sure your father is safe. And I wish your prayers to God include me as well. I am eager to see you again after all.

Love,
Jake.

She could not help but chuckle at his playfulness in the letter. His words did ease her anxiousness about her father's safety and she was thankful for that. She then tore the envelope of the Viscount's letter next and began to read it.

Her father was a bit more blunt with his message than the Duke. All he said was how he was safe and to take care of her mother. She frowned and sighed, "He really needs to learn how to write a heartfelt letter."

The doors opened again and a male servant entered before bowing, "Lady Juliette, you have a guest who came to see you."

"Who is it?"

Her eyes widened when she saw Clarissa entering the room. She sighed and nodded for the servant to leave.

"Have a seat," she politely said before sitting across the daughter of Marquis Ellis.

"Everyone has been talking about how you accompanied Jake before he went off to the expedition."

Juliette fiddled with her dress as she kept a wary stare at the woman. Soon, a few maids came and served them tea before leaving the room once again. Clarissa instantly relaxed in her seat and began pouring herself some tea, "Would you like some?"

"No, thank you. I already had some before," Juliette answered with furrowed brows. "I'm sure you did not just come here for a chitchat."

"You are quite intelligent for a fool."

A smirk made its way to Clarissa's lips as she sipped the tea silently. Juliette felt irritated by her presence and leaned into her seat, still glaring at the lady in front of her.

"You know, it would've been easier if you just accepted Jay's confession. But because you didn't, you are trying to ruin his friendship with Jake."

"I didn't accept any of their confession. I do not want to be associated with any of you."

Clarissa raised an eyebrow before letting out a chuckle, "Is that so? You will just waste your time if you ever develop feelings for Jake."

"Why is that?"

"He doesn't see you as a person. He never does. He only treats you as a possession. An object. To flaunt at the prince. And why do you think he has to join this expedition so soon?"

Juliette kept her scowl plastered on her face as she waited for the woman to continue. Clarissa laughed, amused by the expression of the younger woman.

"Jay sent him to this expedition because he wants Jake to die as soon as he can."

Juliette widened her eyes in shock before looking away, "Why are you telling me all this? Do you really think I care?" She lied. Her heart was now pounding like there was no tomorrow. Jay would not do that to his best friend, right?

"I just want to make sure you know that if Jake ever dies, it's on you," Clarissa warned before standing up from her seat. "Well then, we shall part ways. I can't stand being in this small house anyway."

She then left, leaving Juliette all surprised and afraid in the living room.

Jay wouldn't do that to a friend, right?

Is it really because of me?

She glanced at Jake's letter that she had placed on the table and sighed, imagining how excited he was when he was writing her that letter. How would he feel if he found out the prince was hoping he would die as soon as possible in that expedition?