twenty-one

"Bring his body away from the bombs!" Johnny's screams filled the air as he ordered the other soldiers. All of them tried their best to protect Jake's unconscious body away from the enemies. As they escaped into the forest where no one could see them, Johnny sighed in relief.

"Benjamin, you brought the medical kit with you, right?"

The fellow soldier nodded and approached the Duke's body. "I'm gonna need you to press on his wounds to stop the bleeding."

Johnny nodded and obeyed. The others were guarding the spot, tightening their grip on their guns. They had to run away because things got out of hand.

"His wound is too deep. We're short on medicines," Benjamin said as panic began to rise in him. Johnny frowned before turning to the other soldiers, "Ethan, we have to go back to the site and get the medicine."

"But it's too dangerous right now! Are you crazy? We're not gonna make it out alive!"

"Then, are you gonna let His Grace die just like this? He's our leader and he's still alive but he won't be if we abandon him like this."

"I am not going back to the site at this moment!" Ethan punched Johnny's shoulder out of anger.

"Hey! Stop! Stop!" Benjamin yelled, "If he dies, it'll be on us! We have the chance to save him and if he dies, it means we chose not to!"

"Then, you stay here like a coward! I'll go get the medicine!" Johnny snapped before bumping into Ethan's shoulders. He immediately ran back to the site and headed to the infirmary tent.

He began to rummage through the drawers and sighed in relief when he finally retrieved the medicine.

Footsteps suddenly filled the quiet tent, making shivers run down his spine. He quickly turned around and aimed his gun. To his surprise, it was one of his comrades.

"Johnny! I was looking for you!"

"Have you escorted Viscount William out of this site?"

"Yes, Team B had already escorted him out of the site. Where's Major Shim?"

Johnny frowned before handing him boxes of medicine, "We brought His Grace into the forest. I need you to help me carry these medicines. He's in a critical condition right now."

They both ran out of the tent and shot any enemies that appeared in front of them. As they both managed to reach where Jake and the others were, Johnny gasped in shock, seeing a puddle of blood on the ground.

"Thank God you're here! He's gonna die if we're too late!" Benjamin scolded and began to take the bullet out of the Duke's shoulder. Ethan helped pressing a clean cloth onto his wound at the waist.

Jake's groans of pain could be heard but faintly. "Stay with us, Your Grace!" Johnny panicked and all they could do was pray to God and wish for him to endure the pain.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Juliette played some music on the piano, trying to ease her anxiety. Her mother continued reading a newspaper silently and drank her tea. Suddenly, the doors were slammed open.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Lady Jane scowled and stood up, looking at the maid who just walked in.

Juliette furrowed her brows upon seeing the panting maid flashing a worried expression. "My lady! The Viscount is at the hospital right now! A group of soldiers had brought him back since there was a horrible invasion at the sight."

"What?!" Both the mother and daughter shouted in shock. Lady Jane rubbed her temples before turning to Juliette, "We have to go there now. Come, dearest."

Juliette obeyed and they both rushed out of the house. The driver opened the car doors for them before immediately driving away to the hospital.

Juliette and her mother ran instantly to the room where her father was put into. Seeing her father on the bed unconscious, she could not help but burst into tears of relief. Lady Jane talked with the doctor who was appointed for her husband.

Juliette felt curious upon seeing the blanket that was placed on her father's lower body and pushed it a bit. Her heart dropped as she was at a loss for words.

"Where are his legs?"

Lady Jane widened her eyes and rushed to the bed, "Doctor, what the hell is this?"

"I heard that Lord William's tent was blown up by the enemies. He was lucky enough to be alive. But he had lost his legs because of that."

Lady Jane fell to the floor, speechless at the explanation. Juliette crouched next to her before holding both of her shoulders, "Mother, please. Mother, you have to be strong."

"I already told him not to go on this damn expedition!" Lady Jane cried into her daughter's chest. Juliette slowly patted her back and closed her eyes, trying to suppress the tears that were threatening to come out.