twenty-five

Juliette hastened her knitting out of anger, ignoring the servants who watched her out of worry and curiosity. "Me? A coward? Oh, please," she mumbled under her breath and scoffed mockingly.

Lady Jane who had just walked into her room raised her brows in confusion. She glanced at the servants and they all shook their heads, not wanting to get involved with their young lady's wrath.

"Jules," Lady Jane knocked on the hardwood table, trying to earn her attention. Her daughter accidentally poked herself with the knitting needles. She finally let out a sigh before scowling, "What is it, Mother?"

"An invitation card just came in. The Queen is having a ball."

Juliette placed down her knitting items before walking over towards the wardrobe, "I do not want to go."

"That is absurd, Juliette. It says here on the card that all maidens are encouraged to come."

"I do not want to see the Prince or the Duke or anyone else."

"You don't have to mingle with them. Just approach some other men," Lady Jane followed after her daughter, trying to persuade her to go.

"Mother, I haven't seen one decent man here in this kingdom. They are either drunkards, weird, perverted, cunning and love committing debauchery."

"So what? Are you telling me you're not going to marry a nobleman?" The mother then gasped, "You're not saying you'll marry a commoner, right?!"

Juliette stayed silent and furrowed her eyebrows out of exasperation. Lady Jane gasped even louder before holding her daughter's hand, "Julie, are you... into girls?"

"Mom!" Juliette slapped her mother's hand away in shock, "Stop with all these absurd accusations. It's none of those. I am just not interested in finding a suitor and getting married."

"How can I not when my own daughter doesn't even want to find a husband? Do you know that Lord Evan's daughter who lived across the street had five noblemen come to court her? And not one single man came to our house to court you."

"Mother, she loves the attention, alright? Whenever we go to a ball, you'll see her dance with different men and drink alcohol with them. Maybe because I'm a bit quiet, men don't approach me."

"Oh my God," Lady Jane sighed and fanned herself with her hand, "My daughter is a wallflower."

Juliette rolled her eyes and rubbed her temples, "Now if you'll excuse me, mother. I don't want to continue with this conversation."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Over there!" Johnny rode his horse and went towards the rustling bushes to search for an animal to kill. Jake followed behind with his men and waited for the animal to come out.

Suddenly, a fawn hopped out from the bushes and trembled in fear upon seeing men aiming their guns at it. Jake held his hand up and everyone halted in silence. Johnny glanced at the Duke in confusion, "It's gonna run away, Your Grace."

Jake saw a pink ribbon tied to its leg and he knew instantly the person who did it. He could not help but laugh a little, "We shall not kill it."

"Why?" One of his men grunted in frustration. Jake sighed, "Are you blind? There's a ribbon tied to its leg. It clearly belongs to someone."

"But this is your forest, Your Grace. Who would dare to claim your animals as their own?"

"Let the person be. We shall call it a day. Let's head back."

Johnny stayed in his spot and watched as the others left. He stared and smiled a little upon seeing the fawn going back to its mother. Suddenly, a thought came across his mind. The ribbon looked exactly like the one Juliette gave Jake before the expedition.

"So that's why he doesn't want to kill it? Could it be because of Lady Juliette?" He smirked before riding back to the manor.