Chapter 34

Roughly Seventeen Years Ago

It had been over a year since Osmond had been imprisoned in The Eternal Abyss and his existence wiped from everyone's memories. Alfreda had somewhat become accustomed to it, no longer fearing any more slip-ups in mentioning his name again. She had also grown used to her new treatment as the successor to the throne, enjoying the perks of more expensive gowns and masks, though she had yet to pick a colour as many royals tend to, as tradition, stick with one iconic colour.

As per schedule, Alfreda went to the great hall for her piano lesson with her father, Raoul, the fake king Casimir. Over the course of these weekly lessons, Alfreda was surprised to find that she actually enjoyed learning the piano, finding it one of the more dignified and glamorous musical instruments. Though she had no interest in playing in orchestras or bands, it was... fun to play, and it meant that she got to spend more time with her father.

She entered the room with the sheet music on hand and then greeted her father, who was already awaiting her. After the usual pleasantries, Alfreda demonstrated to her tutor how well she had practised.

However, once she had finished, Casimir was uncharacteristically quiet. He stared at the keys momentarily before quietly asking, "can you play without the sheet music?"

Alfreda hesitated, nodded, and said, "I shall do my best."

Casimir took away the sheet music, and Alfreda let out a long breath, preparing herself. She could remember the beginning, as that was the part she had played the most. However, as she continued to play the piece, she struggled, then stopped in defeat.

"You can use your magic, Alfi," suggested Casimir. "Use it to remember the notes."

Alfreda closed her eyes and winced as she scanned through a few moments ago when she had the sheet music before her. Most of the piece she played through muscle memory and then used her magic to fill in the gaps, however it sounded clunky and disjointed, out of time and out of tune in some parts.

Casimir was quiet once again after she finished. He then flipped through the music book to a new piece that Alfreda had not learnt yet. "Take a look at this."

Alfreda read the notes for barely a few seconds before her father took the book away.

"Now play it," he said.

Alfreda stared at him for a moment in disbelief. How could he be expecting her to be able to play a piece she had only seen for a few seconds? All she could remember at best was the time score and the first bar. Nonetheless, she attempted it, straining her mind to recall the sheet. However, it proved difficult, almost impossible as the book had disappeared within a flash and was thus not so concrete of an image in her mind. She did the best she could under the circumstances and played what notes she could find, but none of it sounded like music.

There was a moment of pause.

Alfreda's posture almost slipped, her body caving in as the longer she waited for her father to respond, the more she felt her self disappearing.

"There seems to be not that much progress, disappointingly," Casimir sighed.

"Well, if I could see the piece a bit longer," said Alfreda. "Perhaps I could-"

"Not your piano playing," said Casimir. "Your magic. It still takes you so long to recall a memory from a few seconds ago."

Alfreda straightened her back. "I am progressing, Your Majesty," she tried her best not to raise her voice, but found that it cracked instead. "I am practising every day."

"And yet it is still not enough."

"Enough for what?" Alfreda mumbled. What had she done wrong? Mind manipulation magic was one of the most complex and exhausting arcane arts to learn. Her progress was actually above average.