Chapter 19: The Rescue Attempt

Before Ryoske's and Shang-Yo's eyes was a man with tan skin, brown hair tied to a downward ponytail, brown mustache, a decent amount of brown beard and gold eyes. He was wearing a red sleeveless turtleneck shirt with a gray outline at its top and bottom edges. The bottom of the turtleneck was tied with a brown clip. He also had brown, gold and silver bands on each forearms. His brown belt was wrapped around his waist. He also wore brown shorts and brown sandals.

The man stared at Ryoske and Shang-Yo with a concerned look on his face. He held a torch in his right hand.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"We're fine. We're just looking for someplace to eat," Shang-Yo replied.

Right at that moment, Shang-Yo's stomach growled again, causing everyone in the area to look at Shang-Yo's stomach.

The man let out a chuckle. "You two must be hungry. Perhaps, you could stay in my house tonight?" he asked with a kind smile. "I'm sure my wife and daughter won't mind."

Shang-Yo rose onto his standing position. A smile appeared on his face as he raised his right fist. "Yes!"

Ryoske rose to his standing position as well.

Then, Ryoske and Shang-Yo bowed at the man respectfully. While doing so, Shang-Yo spoke. "Oh, thank you! Thank you! Thank you, sir!"

The man chuckled. "You're welcome." Then, he motioned for Ryoske and Shang-Yo to go with him. "Come. My house is not far from here."

Shang-Yo and Ryoske nodded. "Okay."

With that, the man led Ryoske and Shang-Yo towards his house. Once they arrived, they came to a stop in front of the entrance door.

"Here we are," the man said. He turned to Ryoske and Shang-Yo. "By the way, I'm Noren. What's your name?"

Shang-Yo pointed at himself. "I'm Shang-Yo." He gestured to Ryoske. As he did, Ryoske waved his hand. "And this is Ryoske," Shang-Yo continued.

"It is nice to meet you, Sir Noren," Shang-Yo said as he and Ryoske bowed respectfully.

Noren chuckled. "There's no need for formalities. Just Noren is fine."

"Okay, Noren," Shang-Yo said as he and Ryoske rose to their standing positions.

"It's an honor to meet you two," Noren said with a kind smile. His body slightly turned to the door. "I'll knock on the door and tell my wife about your situation."

As he said the last part, Noren turned to the door. He reached his right fist to it and knocked it gently.

It took a few seconds until the door open. It revealed a woman with light tan skin, gold eyes and brown hair tied to a side ponytail. The ponytail was a circle hair clip with pink and magenta circle patterns on it. She wore a pale pink dress with a red outline on its top edges. She wore a slightly pale orange vest with dark orange outlines at all the edges. She was barefooted because her footwear was in front of the entrance door.

A smile appeared on the woman's face upon seeing Noren, but it was quickly replaced by surprise when she saw Ryoske and Shang-Yo.

The woman moved her fingers to her opened mouth. "My goodness. I wasn't aware you brought guests here, Noren."

"They are hungry and tired, Noriko. They wanted a place to eat and stay," Noren said with a smile. He then, gestured to Ryoske and Shang-Yo. "These are the people I met moments ago. Ryoske and Shang-Yo."

"Hi," Shang-Yo said, waving his hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Yeah. Nice to meet you," Ryoske said with a smile.