Chapter 18: The Aftermath

“Can you give us a moment, please, Nidoria?” Huaiying asked.

Nidoria nodded with a smile. “Sure.”

With that, everyone — except Nidoria — huddled in a circle. Nidoria could barely hear words from them, but she knew they were discussing about the question she just asked them.

With Huaiying, she started her conversation with Izugail, Khelsi, Gianso and Zeno.

"If it were up to me, I would help Zuko with his problems and understand why he's made a decision to be on Azula's side. I would also save Zuko at all costs when I fully understand him," Huaiying explained. Then, she turned to everyone else. "What do you think?"

Izugail raised her head as her right hand moved to her chin. Her right elbow laid on her left hand. "Um, for me personally, I'll let him be." She laid her hands down and turned to Huaiying. "It's not my problem he made that decision," Izugail said.

"You'll stay here?" Huaiying asked in concern.

"Yes, I should. We can't go out unless we have Internships and Work-studies. And the Internships just finished, so..." Izugail said.

"You have a good point there, Izugail," Huaiying said.

"I say we save Zuko," Zeno said determinedly with his right fist raised in the air.

Everyone turned to Zeno, surprised.

Zeno laid his fist down. His detemrined expression turned into a concerned one. "I've seen how Kugo feels whenever Nidoria is about to stand up for him. He's been like that ever since she was taken down by Harutski and her friends while standing up for him. He felt guilty.

"And so, Kugo tried his best to stand strong and fight the bullies whenever it's necessary. That way, Nidoria would never get hurt again, whether physically, emotionally and mentally."

"I'm with Zeno on this," Gianso said as he patted Zeno's right shoulder. He had a confident smile on his face as he said this. His confident smile turned into determination. "Nidoria is our friend. And anyone who's friends with Nidoria is friends with us. If we just stand there and do nothing, then how can we call ourselves Protectors, especially when we end up making Nidoria sad?"

Huaiying nodded. Then, she and everyone else turned to Khelsi, the last person waiting to answer.

"How about you, Khelsi?" Izugail said.

Khelsi was quite spooked out. A nervous smile appeared on her face as her head turned to everyone else in the circle. Then, a few moments later, Khelsi caught sight of Nidoria.

Nidoria laid there. Her arms and feet wrapped in bandages. The biggest bandage wrapped around her left foot because it was burned by Azula's flames.

Khelsi looked into Nidoria's eyes. What Khelsi saw was concern, faith, worry and plead. Her hand made its way to her chest. Tears filled her eyes as empathy grew in her.

I thought I would let Zuko realize that what he did is wrong, but... since you want him to be back on the good side... Khelsi thought as her empathic expression became mixed with her determination. ...I'll support you all the way... by saving him for you.

A few moments later, Khelsi turned to everyone else in the circle. A few tears streamed down her cheeks. "I will... save Zuko for her."

Surprised expressions appeared on everyone else's faces. The most surprised expression came from Izugail.

Izugail knew Khelsi to be a quiet and timid person, but thanks to her Protector-training sessions, she learned to grow and become a better person. Izugail saw that Khelsi had the potential to defend herself, but that didn't mean she didn't need help.