Chapter 28: Hospital Visit

I paced outside of Banfield Pet Hospital. They kicked me out 10 minutes ago for moving around too much. They said I was upsetting the other patients. I had tried to sit still, but I just couldn't stand it in there.

Someone I loved was in surgery and I wasn't able to do anything to help them. I felt like tearing my hair out. I had seen Lisa just this morning. How could she be involved in an accident? How could she be in surgery right now?

It was all too familiar.

The door of the hospital opened. I looked up, hoping for a doctor, but it was only Dale, the man who had run Lisa over.

"What do you want?" I said, managing to stop my pacing. My foot tapped.

On a normal day, with his military uniform on, Dale was probably an intimidating white guy in his early 50's. I bet he scared the new National Guard recruits all the time, but now he looked sad and helpless. His eyes were puffy from crying. And it was almost like...

"I just wanted to check on you," he said.

"I'm fine," I said to the ground.

"Miss Hayes," he said, "I can't express-"

"Then don't," I said. The words came out like a sob. I began pacing again.

Dale watched me for a moment and then he went back inside. I didn't need anything else from that man. He'd already explained the situation. Dale had been driving to work when a shadow shot out from the trees. He slammed on the brakes but it was too late. Lisa had been hit.

After that, Dale brought her here and called me. I don't know why he was still sticking around. Didn't he have a job to do? It would be better than hanging out and acting like...

I shook my head and paced faster as if I could outrun the thought.

This wasn't the same, I told myself. I wasn't trapped in a plastic seat, listening to hushed conversations under the glow of the hospital lights. I wasn't that clueless little girl wiggling in a chair, trying to believe false words. This was different. It had to be. I couldn't do that again.

*****

6 years ago...

My life changed forever. It was a no-show day at the circus and we were somewhere in Utah. I remember that there was snow on the ground. Cathleen and I were making a snow tiger.

The circus had strayed from its usual path so that my parents could ask about purchasing a new tiger from another circus. They were out that day making the initial negotiations. I had wanted to go with them but they had told me to stay behind.

So there Cathleen and I were, playing behind the cafeteria among the trees. We were laughing and having fun when a snowball smashed into Cathleen's face.

Immediately, I turned toward where the snowball came from and shouted, "Keith!"

"Yes?" Keith responded. He came toward us from a different direction. He had a look of utter confusion as he said, "What did my sister do to her face?"

I wasn't fooled. "We know it was you," I said. Cathleen nodded as she wiped the snow and tears off her face.

Keith only smiled and said, "Do you? And what proof do you have?" Curse that smile. At fourteen, his angelic face should have been covered in acne, but Keith was as childlike as ever.

"You're such a jerk, Keith and I'm tired of it," I told him.

Keith yawned. "And I'm tired of you blaming me for every little thing, but you don't see me complaining."