Jaedo's backstory part 1

17 years ago

-Let's read another story! Please, mummy! Please! little Jaedo jumped on his bed, excited to cuddle with the woman in the black dress.

She gently took her apron off and placed it on the chair before picking a storybook from the shelf.

-What should we read tonight? she got in the bed and put the blanket on both of them.

-What was that story you told me about at dinner? I want to hear it!

-Are you sure? The big bad wolf may come and get you! she tickled the kid until he fell off the bed while laughing.

-Yes! I wanna hear it! he got back up like nothing happened.

-Are you okay, sweetie? the woman checked him for any bruises.

-I'm not okay! I don't hear the story!

-Alright, alright! I'll tell you about it!

-Yeeeyyy!!!!

-My grandparents used to tell me this story when I was about your age. It's called "The goat and her three children". Ready?

-Ready!!!

Such a beautiful sight. A mother and her son reading bedtime stories.

But the thing was... that woman was NOT his mother.

That was the maid. She wasn't paid to play with him or tuck him in bed or read stories to him. She was doing all that because she wanted to. Because she felt that Jaedo needed a present mother figure. He needed to be a kid, not a puppet.

Park Jaedo was the only heir of the influential real estate empire, leaving the dream in a penthouse with his father, mother, grandma and servants. But was he happy?

He was rarely seeing his parents at home and his grandma was always whining about pain in her knees, shoulders, back. He felt lonely most of the time.

That was before sweet Maria decided to remain overtime to play with him a bit, to watch cartoons with him or just to read him a bedtime story. Jaedo got attached instantly and ended up calling her "Mary" which slowly turned into "mommy". She was after all the only mother figure in his life.

-Jaedo! Jaedo, wake up! she shook him lightly.

The boy opened his eyes confused. It was 7 am on a Saturday morning. Why couldn't he sleep more?

-Your mother wants you dressed and ready for breakfast . Let's go, mister!

-But she never has breakfast with me! Why would she want me there?

-Maybe she thinks you're mature enough to join her and her friends. We wouldn't want to let her down, would we?

-I guess not, Jaedo pouted.

He followed his mother's instructions and went downstairs to have breakfast with her, the local police chief and the bank owner from across the street.

-Honey! The police chief asked you something, mrs. Park nudged her son lightly.

-What? the boy snapped to reality and looked at the old man like a lost puppy.

-I was just asking what do you learn in school. My grandson had told me some crazy stuff he read in his history book. Lies. Lies to brainwash the kids! he said before taking another bite from his bacon.

-We learn a lot of stuff. But they are all boring, Jaedo started playing with his food. I would like to study bedtime stories. Mo- Mary told me a lot of them.

-Mary? the man looked at mrs Park confused.

-Our servant. She talks too much. I should fix that, she let out a nervous laugh.

Later that day Jaedo went back to his room to spend some more time with his favourite person.

Little did he know his mother was following him and listening from behind the door.

She slammed it open and told Maria to go downstairs to mop the floors.

-Yes, ma'am! she bent her down and left, not before closing the door behind her.

Mrs. Park grabbed Jardo by the ear until it turned red.

-Listen here, you little shit! I didn't go into labour for 13 hours just for you to be unable to say something nice about me! You just ruined a really big deal right there! How dare you talk about a nobody like that maid? Praising her? For what? She's done nothing with her life! I worked my ass off for you to live in a palace and that's what I get in return? she slapped him. Better behave next time or I'll tell your father how disrespectful you are!

Jaedo started crying immediately, begging his mother to let go of his ear.

-That's right! Cry! Cry and learn to be better!

The next day

-Jaedo! Jaedo!

-Wh-what? the boy opened his eyes and saw Maria with a cut on her cheek.

-You need to hide!

-What? Why?

-Come on! I'll tell your mom you spent the night at a friend. Please hide! For me! I don't want you to get hurt!

-Okay, Jaedo nodded and dressed up fast.

-Stay under your bed before she stops yelling, alright?

-Will you come back to me? Jaedo gripped Maria's shirt.

-Yes. I'll be back shortly, she placed a kiss on his forehead and closed the door behind her.

Jaedo covered his ears in fear and waited for his mother to calm down. Which it happened after 30 minutes.

He waited a bit longer to make sure the fight was gone and then he got up and ran towards the door.

He didn't even touch the knob when a loud shot filled the whole building.

He froze in his place and felt tears escape his red eyes.

He ran downstairs and caught his mother with a gun in her hand.

-Mom? She turned around and hid it under her skirt.

-Yes, honey? she smiled.

-Where's Maria?

-She... she quit. Something about not receiving enough money. It's okay, we'll find you a new maid.

-I want Maria! he started crying on the stairs.