Seonhun's backstory part 1

15 years ago

-Seonhun, honey? Why won't you go play football with your father and brother?

-They always make fun of me. I'm not very good at sports, he said embarrassed as he proceeded to draw in his little notebook.

-Well, you don't have to. You have other talents. Look at my little artist! she bent down and kissed his cheek.

-Do you like it? It's you!

-I love it! she placed the photo on the fridge.

He smiled widely and jumped off the chair.

-Want me to help you wash the dishes?

-That would be lovely, sweety. Thank you for being such a good boy!

Seonhun had a pretty decent life. He was living in a big house with a wonderful mother. The sweetest and most fairest of them all.

His father was the one working. Even though he was busy he always made time to spend with his sons.

Yes, sons. As Seonhun had a little brother names Seojoon.

Everything was ordinary. Everything was perfect. So where did it all start to crack?

-I scored twice today! It was a good day! Seojoon flopped on his bed. You should come and play with us next time.

-So you can make me your target? No, thanks. I like spending time with mom.

-You'll become soft just like her. Where is your manliness?

-You can have it, Seonhun shrugged.

-Well, I guess it won't matter anyway. You have me to protect you if those bullies appear again, he posed like a hero.

-I'll try to avoid them, he fixed his glasses on the bridge of his nose. Do you have water for the night?

-Stop babying me, man! Seojoon whined.

-I'm just making sure you won't wake up in the middle of the night to destroy the kitchen like last time.

-I didn't see the pan there!

-I'll go bring you water, Seonhun smiled.

He went down the stairs but stopped midway when he heard his name being mentioned in a conversation between his parents.

-You don't understand, Bongcha! Seojoon is younger and is as good as a trained one. Seonhun wouldn't stand a fight with a chihuahua. How will he ever get to his sister's level?

-Sister? Seonhun whispered to himself before covering his mouth in shock.

-Maybe he doesn't need to be like her. He can have a normal life. Please...don't take another child away from me! she dropped to the ground.

-But that's why we made them.

-You made them for that. I did it for love! she clung to his arm to beg.

-Father wants me to bring another already. It will be between Seonhun and Seojoon. I would suggest to say goodbye to them, he stepped away from his wife.

Seonhun went back to his room and closed the door.

-Where's my water? Seojoon asked confused.

-Shhhh! Be quiet! Seonhun whispered panicked.

He waited a few seconds before dragging his brother to the opposite corner of the room to explain what he had heard.

-Take us where?

-I don't know. Where our sister is apparently. I think those games he plays with us are tests to see which one of us is more fitting for that place.

-So it's gonna be me... Seojoon said terrified. I don't... I don't wanna go. I have mom here and my friends and my room and my games and ... I don't wanna go. I have to stay here and protect you from bullies. I don't wanna...he started shaking his head in denial.

-It won't be you! Seonhun gripped his shoulders.

-But you're mediocre... -Firt of all, ouch... Second, we'll pretend I beat you at something. He'll take me and you'll be safe.

-But... But we won't see each other again, he said with tears built up in his eyes.

-Of course we will! I'll find you again! I promise... Take care of mom, okay?

Seojoon nodded and swallowed his salty tears.

The next day

-Mom?

-Yes, honey?

-Why did you marry dad? Seonhun asked out of the blue.

-Because I love him, she kept washing the dishes.

-Do you?

-Yes. Maybe too much, her smile dropped.

-I love you, mom. You are the best mom I could wish for.

She turned around and kissed her son on top of the head before engulfing him in a tight hug.

-My sweet boy... Don't change for anybody. You're perfect the way you are.

-Dad doesn't think that.

-But I do, she ruffled his hair. I think you're a really special boy. You're more like me than like your father. Maybe that's why he is so irrational sometimes.

-I'm glad I'm like you.

The woman smiled again before returning to her chores.

Seonhun looked at the fridge and felt a few strings pulling his heart towards his mother.

He wanted to run into her arms again and stay there forever.

But he had a mission.

He knew taking away a child from her would have broken her, but he also knew letting his little brother be the sacrifice would have broken him. He'd been protected by him all those years. It was his turn to do the same.

Besides, he was beyond curious about their sister. He wanted to meet her.

When their father arrived home, he went straight to his wife to talk about the main issue when they both heard a scream from the garden.

They rushed outside to see Seonhun on top of Seojoon.

-Okay, I give up! Auch! Okay okay, you win! Seojoon cried in surrender.

-What's going on? the woman asked.

-He took my glasses so I fought back, Seonhun lied.

-You did this? the father approached with a smirk growing on his face.

-No... No! You can't! the mother tried to pull the man back.

-Seonhun, you have to come with me for a bit.

-Where? he played clueless.

-Just a short trip to my workplace. Doesn't it sound fun?

Seonhun looked down and saw the horror in Seojoon's eyes mirroring perfectly the expression on their mother's face.

-Sure, dad! I would love to! he smiled.

________________________________
So for the math to work these events are happening right before Chan escaped from District 9.

Also Seonhun is about 7 years old here, Seojoon is 6 and Yeji is 12 while Chan is 15.

Thank you for reading!