Ryung's backstory part 1

7 years ago

-Ryung! Ryung!

The boy felt a slap on the back of his head and put his headphones down.

-Ouch! Dad, what the hell? he rubbed his nape.

-What did you do today, Ryung?

-What did I do? he asked confused. Nothing.

-I tell you what you did. You've got the worst grade in your class today. What do I send you to school for? Huh? You're just wasting time with this stupid hobby! he yelled.

-It's not stupid! It's my dream and I'm very good at it! If only I was accepted to a record house, you would see-

-Enough, Ryung! Study! Do something useful for your future! he stormed out of the room angrier than ever.

Ryung sighed and placed the headphones back on his ears.

He was used to his father's criticism. He couldn't care less.

His father wasn't an angel either. He was fucking his dead wife's sister and was stupid enough to think no one knew. The whole family knew.

Ryung loved music since his mother had been an opera singer. He only dreamed to become a songwriter and he scrabled lyrics on his notebook with each occasion. But he was still at the start. He needed a push. Some help. Something to get him to the top.

He found that something in his best friend whose father was working with a small record house. It wasn't a big three company, but it was a start. It was enough for Ryung to try to shoot his shot.

I watch you from behind
Cause that is my place
Swallowed my feelings
You cannot embrace
I reach my hand
But your touch will just cut
Right through my skin Neverending glut
So I want you to be mine
But you don't see me at all
Faking the talks
I can be your doll
Please pick me up
It's cold on the shelf
With the chains of love
I'm devoting myself

-Did you write this, dude?

-Yeah. Is it bad? Ryung chewed on his lip nervously.

-Nah, this is a banger. I'll get my old man to listen to it. Maybe we can do something for you!

-Really? Ryung smiled in excitement.

That was it. His efforts were paid off. He could have saved himself from his father's house and do what he wanted to.

-You must be Ryung! Nice to meet you! his friend's father showed up a few minutes later.

The younger got up and bowed 90° degrees. He was so nervous he couldn't contain himself. He shook his hand and smiled until his cheeks hurt.

-Yes, sir! That's me- I mean I am me. I mean... I'm Ryung, he facepalmed himself in his mind.

-My son told me about you. You're a talent. Something fresh. I could use your help around here.

-That sound like a dream, sir!

-BUT.

Ryung felt his heart rise up to his throat. There was a but. What kind of but was it?

-I can't hire you only based on a few lyrics.

-Of course...

-I'm going to need a full CV and a portfolio.

-Sure, I can bring it-

-I want 30 songs.

-30 songs?