Just Give Me A Reason

Start from the beginning

"We survived, but we're not alive." Sam states.

My eye browns scrunch up and then the old thought came back into my head.

"Oh," is all I say.

"Yeah," Sam says, going along with it.

I step out of his arms and look back up at him. "So why are we having this weird out-of-body experience?"

"Well because," Sam clasps his hands behind his back. "I don't know actually, but there's something you need to know. And I think this is why we're having this experience. The Fates sure know how to play the game."

"Okay," I say, "well, what is it?"

"You're not going to like it, but it's about Matt."

* * *

I didn't scream. I didn't cry. I didn't even move one muscle. I didn't know how to react. Was I supposed to yell? Scream? Cry? Hit someone? What? But it seemed like Sam was expecting a reaction.

"Okay, and . . ." I say, gesturing him to move on. "What about him?"

"When I had first had that weird out-of-body experience," Sam says, going into the story, "I heard voices out in the hallways, and it was Matt and Beck. They were talking about you."

I shrugged. "So?" I say. There's nothing really important about that.

"Let me get there will you, Jesus," Sam tells me and I roll my eyes. "Anyways, they were talking about you, but it wasn't anything bad though, but the situation they were talking about was, and -- "

"Sam!"

"Okay, okay I'll stop rambling, but anyways, they were talking about the night and reason why Matt did what he did."

Sam didn't need to elaborate. I knew what he was talking about. I knew which night he was talking about. I knew which situation he was talking about. I knew exactly what it was.

But I didn't want to talk about it anymore. I wanted to forget that night. Just like how I forgot my old self.

But did I really wanted to start all over again? Did I really want to be hurt again?

And this time I decided I didn't want to.

* * *

"I'm not going to tell you how it happened, I'm going to show you." Sam tells me and my eye browns scrunch up together, and then everything around us suddenly starts to go backwards in time.

I see doctors, nurses, people walking backwards, like rewinding on a tape, but this was for real. This was real life. It felt so unreal, but yet so cool at the same time. I have no idea how Sam was doing all of this cool shit, but it was freaking cool!

Suddenly, everything stops and I see Matt and Beck in the same hallway as us, and I see them talking quietly.

Beck looked healthily and good as ever, but when I saw Matt there was a twing of pain in my heart. His hair was devilish, he looked like he hadn't eaten anything, he had purple bags under his eyes, and he looked pale and dead.

"Oh, Matt . . . " I say, my voice trailing off.

"Shh," Sam shushed me. He looks over at me. "You need to listen to this. It will explain everything."