Chapter 26

I watched the door slide closed behind Eaven. It glided completely on its own, like an automatic door. I turned to look at Ronan. Now that the two  goblins were gone from the room, his roguish smile was replaced by a much more sour expression.

I realized I was still holding Ronan's hand. I pulled mine free and stood, leaving far too much food still on my plate. The exhaustion I had been ignoring weighed heavily on me. I rearranged my borrowed dress around my legs so that it would be easier to walk.

I'd had enough of this evening.

"Well, I think I'm done—"

"Sit. You've barely eaten."

I remained standing and fixed him with a blank stare. "I'm not hungry."

"You've barely eaten anything in days, and you are weak. Eat. You need to get better."

I lifted one of my brows at him. It was easier to understand the wild fae side of him compared to this caring and protective version. Theodan had figured it out faster than I had and had been all too willing to use it against him.

"Well, I was hungry until you started gnawing on bones like a dog."

Ronan pushed his brows together, a crease showing between them. "A dog? You mean one of those puny wolves that humans keep as pets?"

I stared at him. Then I let out a weary breath, my shoulders slumping forward.

"Never mind." I turned to leave the room. My head swam uncomfortably. I gritted my teeth and pushed forward through the haze. I was tired of being weak.

"Heather..."

I ignored him and kept walking, moving past the glittering pinpricks of light that swam through the air and into the icy hall. Frost gathered in the corners like a thick layer of dust, and a draft snuck up from down the corridors. I rubbed my arms, but the cold didn't bite at me as harshly as it had before.

I heard a set of heavy steps behind me as Ronan followed. With a quick glance, I noticed he was carrying a plate of food. Behind him, short and squat creatures crawled into the empty dining room. Some of them finished off the food on the table, and others were cleaning away our plates. It was the first time I saw any of the other creatures that lived there.

Well, I guess that answered who did the cooking. I had doubted Eaven put the feast together herself.

We reached the room, Ronan stopping a few paces behind me.

"Yes?" Ronan asked from where he stood at my back.

I looked at him through the side of my eye. "Are you actually sleeping in the same room as me?"

Ronan didn't bat a lash. "Yes. We've been sleeping near each other for days now. I thought you were used to it."

I pursed my lips, feeling too tired to argue. But still, I had to ask, "But... can't you sleep elsewhere for one night? Surely it is safe—"

"No," Ronan said, cutting me off. "It is safer than out in the mountains, yes, but you are mistaken if you think you are safe anywhere in this world. Though I don't think Eaven or Theodan would harm you, I do not trust them. Not with you."

I felt my heart jump at his admission. I was confused all over again.

Brushing past me, Ronan pushed open the door. He revealed the same icy room I had enjoyed my solitude in earlier, only this time small floating lights lingered within. As Ronan moved into the room, the lights scurried out, streaming into the hall and past me. I felt the wind shift as they went.

Ronan turned, noticing me still standing there.

"Well? Aren't you tired?" He held up the food. "Or will you eat?" He sounded almost hopeful.