Chapter 16

"I don't think my pants will fit it. I didn't realize they made humans so small. It will drag my clothes all through the dirt," replied the blonde faerie girl who was eying me with open disdain—Trahern's sister. They ran the inn just outside the Whispering Forest where the Hunt had taken place. The Whispering Inn.

I sat quietly on the edge of the bed while Trahern and his sister stood over me. Unlike Trahern, she was all hues of golden yellow, mixed with the warm sun-kissed tone of her skin. She also had the brightest green eyes I had ever seen. She might have appeared human, had it not been for the slit cat-like pupils of her eyes and the delicate little-pointed ears that stuck out from her braided hair.

Like her brother, she wore a tunic and trousers; only hers were not meant for mucking out stalls in the stables. The material looked simple, yet fine, with delicate embroidery along its hems. Golden threads weaved through the green material, likely meant to bring out her eyes.

Had she been a bit more hospitable, I might have found her dazzling.

"Oh come on, Cath. She can't go all the way to Firya in a Prize's dress and shoes."

Cath glanced at the ceiling, her frown deepening. "It could try. It's not like it will live that long, anyway."

Trahern paled to a shade of alabaster. "Don't say that in front of her. Mortals hate being reminded of their mortality. It's considered quite rude, or so I hear."

Cath only shrugged. "Well, it is true. I can't lie." A smile snuck across her lips, and she looked pleased for the first time since I met her.

I pressed my lips together in a frown. They were speaking English, but for once I wished they weren't. Maybe then it might not have bothered me so much to be referred to as an "it."

Repeatedly.

"How about these," Trahern said, holding up a pair of faded brown trousers similar to his own. "You haven't worn these in about two hundred years."

I wasn't so sure he meant that as an exaggeration, based on his casual tone. Cath's eyes flicked to the trousers, then to me. Then she sighed, lifting her hands in the air. "Only because of Ronan. I know it would inconvenience him to have to deal with his little pet getting one of those disgusting human illnesses if she is not appropriately clothed."

Cath looked back at me, addressing me for the first time. "I am supposed to see to your feet?" Her nose wrinkled as she looked me up and down.

It took all my effort not to kick her with one. Instead, I smiled, the expression strained. "Why thank you," I said through gritted teeth. "How kind of you."

I was pretty sure she missed my sarcasm.

Instead, she looked startled. "Oh please, no need for your human politeness. I just can't have you tracking blood through my inn. Also, I hear your kind gets infections easily." She stopped and screwed her face up like she was surprised to have been talking to me at all. Then Cath turned, calling to Trahern.

"Trahern. Bring the water basin here."

Trahern bent and lifted one of the large bowls they had brought into the room with them. There was one bed in the room—the one I sat upon—then a single window along with a small chair and table. It was an inn meant for people just passing through, not for luxury.

"My sister knows a lot about humans, don't mind her, she's always a bit prickly at first. It's just her temperament. She will heal you up, good as new," Trahern said as he trotted over, sloshing water over the brim of the basin as he set it down beside me. Cath had me lift my leg while I looked on, seriously doubting Trahern's words.