Chapter 11

As Eirian parted from the shadows, he appeared unperturbed by what had just transpired. His stride was measured and gliding, as if he floated on a wave.

Gran had spoken of the inhuman beauty of the fae. The higher races were often gifted with Craft. I remembered her saying they were supposed to be a wonder to behold, and she hadn't been kidding. I wondered if perhaps she had seen one before. Because even now, I couldn't help but watch Eirian's movements, my lips parted in awe. Humans didn't look like that. It was as if every part of him had been carved to perfection.

I stood there, covered in Everard's blood. My stomach turned as a wave of nausea hit me. Still, I narrowed my eyes.

"Why me?" I asked.

Eirian grinned, a smile that was as handsome as it was haunting.

"Because I like special things, and you are truly astounding, even in your current state." His golden eyes flickered over me, assessing my blood-coated state with a small frown. "Far too beautiful to be wasted on a mountain goblin, love."

I felt panic pushing my body to run, but for some reason, I couldn't.

His eyes glowed gold, a vivid reminder of what he was. I stepped back and raised a hand to my head. It swirled, and everything was momentarily turned upside down. I shook my head, trying to shake off the disorienting feeling.

"Don't worry. You will fit in well with my court." He smiled, flashing me his dazzling teeth, surveying me from head to foot, as if peeling away the layers of blood and grime. I wanted to move away from him, but I couldn't. Eirian's eyes locked on mine.

"If I didn't know better, I would say you were made of summer..." he added, his voice trailing off, dark brows furrowing as he considered me. "But I know that can't be."

I had no idea what he meant. My thoughts were growing sluggish, and all I could do was look into his golden gaze. I had never seen such beautiful eyes before. The wind whipped by me, biting at my skin.

They were perfect, just like he was.

He cut off the last few inches between us. Somewhere in the deepest corner of my mind came a scream to run—to get away from him...but I couldn't. I couldn't look away from his eyes.

I wanted to look into them forever.

He stood so close I could feel the heat radiating from his body.  It would be so easy to sink into him, fall into the warm depths of his arms and never look back again.

Maybe... going with him wouldn't be so bad.

There was a tug at the corner of my mind, but I ignored it. Eirian wouldn't hurt me. I wasn't sure why I had ever doubted him.

Eirian's hand felt like a hot summer's day. He trailed it down my cheek, his eyes turning curious as he brought his fingers to the edge of my lips.

The intense urge to kiss him filled me as my eyes traveled down his perfectly symmetrical face. His mouth looked so plush and soft. I could already imagine the way his lips would feel against mine. Heat coursed through my body, and my skin flushed.

The sheerness of my nearly non-existent gown fluttered in shredded ribbons across my calves. I could tear it off and offer myself to him right here. The idea alone had my hands moving to the straps of my dress.

I blinked, freezing under his hand as he lifted my chin. His face had lost its smirk, a darkness overtaking his eyes. Lust had dilated his pupils, and the planes of his face became more severe. The contours of his figure molded into mine. My pulse filled my ears, shutting out any other sound as it grew to a deafening roar.