Chapter 11: Days past

Inside the dimly lit room, the queen sat gracefully on a raised platform, her regal presence accentuated by the traditional Korean setting. Behind her, delicate paper windows adorned with intricate designs cast soft patterns of light into the room, creating a serene ambiance. Her no-legged chair, positioned in front of the paper windows, symbolized her status, while a small brown stool rested in front of her—a simple yet essential part of the queen's dignified surroundings.

Suddenly, the sliding paper door opened, and a lady dressed in a resplendent green hanbok entered. The queen raised her head with a commanding presence as she acknowledged the visitor. "Your Highness, the royal mage is here to see you," the lady announced with a deep bow, her voice resonating with respectful tones.

The queen nodded graciously. "Please, allow him to enter," she replied, her hand gently resting on the small brown stool in front of her, a subtle sign of her authority and readiness.

As the lady stepped aside, an elderly man entered, his demeanor humble yet filled with an air of wisdom that spoke volumes about his role as the royal mage. With a deep bow, he paid his respects to the queen, who acknowledged him with a dignified nod.
The mage sat on the cushion which was on the floor, facing the queen, and set his bag aside.

"Your Majesty," the mage's voice was laden with worry and regret, prompting the queen to fix her gaze upon him in silence, inviting him to continue. "Following the Great Queen's passing, a dire circumstance arose. One of the pendants went missing. We believe that someone who heard the rumours stole it. Before the first pendant went missing, there was a leak of information regarding the two pendants within the palace. If the first pendant were to fall into the wrong hands, it could spell disaster for our entire kingdom. I take full responsibility for this failure, Your Highness," the mage confessed, lowering his head in contrition.

The queen's expression tightened slightly, a mix of concern and resolve crossing her features. "Tell me everything. Is the fourth book in your possession?" she inquired, her voice carrying a weight of responsibility.

The mage sighed deeply, his eyes reflecting the weight of the news he carried. "Yes, Your Highness. I have safeguarded the first three books within the palace library, but the fourth book—the most crucial of them all—I dare not risk it falling into the wrong hands," he explained, his tone laced with caution.

A flicker of frustration flashed across the queen's face. "I warned my mother of such possibilities, I told her something like this would happen. " she murmured, her voice tinged with disappointment.

"We must rely on the future now, Your Highness," the mage continued, his gaze steady and determined. "If we can protect the fourth book, the chosen ones will have a pathway to us through the second pendant."

The queen leaned forward, her eyes fixed on the mage. "Elaborate," she commanded, her tone unwavering.

"Presently, the two parallel worlds remain sealed," the mage explained, his voice measured yet filled with an undercurrent of urgency. "But should the first pendant find its counterpart, the seal will weaken, and the fate of our world will rest upon the shoulders of the chosen ones. The awakening of the second pendant will also herald the discovery of its rightful owner."

The mage abruptly reached for his bag, pulling out a crystal ball and a book, placing them carefully on the table before the queen. "The fourth book ! And What is that?" the queen inquired, her gaze fixed on the shimmering crystal ball.

"This, Your Highness, is a crystal ball of my creation. With it, you can peer into the future. Once the second pendant finds its rightful owner, this crystal will activate. Through it, you can monitor the chosen ones. If any of them awaken their inner powers, you can summon them here, using the pendant as a conduit. The responsibility lies with you," the mage explained with a sigh.