Chapter 179-The Grammy Awards

JULY 1st, 2009

It was the night of the 52nd annual Grammy Awards. Athena Tyler and Michael Jackson—married since 1992—attended the show, and both were nominated for different award categories. But Athena was also set to perform a tribute show in honor of her late brother Kayden and the recent passing of her mother Nicole.

The setup for the tribute performance started with some of Athena's backup dancers dancing to a medley of Kayden's most popular songs.

"I'm nervous," LaToya muttered to Michael as the Jackson family all sat together.

"Why are you nervous?" Katherine asked.

"What do you mean why is she nervous?" Marlon exclaimed, bouncing in his seat, "This is the first time she's performing 'Popular Monster' since Kayden died! She's probably feeling so many emotions right now."

Jackie frowned, his eyes never leaving the stage where the dancers moved like ghosts in the dim light, "She's incredibly strong to be able to do this at all," he murmured.

It started with 'Drugs', then 'Losing My Mind', then 'Losing My Life', then 'The Drug In Me Is You (Reimagined)'.

And as the notes of their collaboration song, 'Popular Monster' sounded through the arena, a hush fell over the crowd as Athena took the stage, making her entrance by breaking through a glass mirror. Shards of glass scattered around her as she stepped forward, her eyes blazing with a fierce look in her eyes, her presence commanding attention even before she began to sing.

Michael widened his eyes in shock, "'Popular Monster' was Kayden's song, too," he said, awe coloring his voice.

Janet pursed her lips and held back tears as she watched her sister-in-law push through what was bound to be an emotionally agonizing performance. The raw power in Athena's voice as she sang the first few lines made it clear that this tribute was not just about honoring her brother's memory, but also about releasing the pain and anger she had been holding inside since his passing. Every word she sang carried a weight of grief and resilience, echoing through the arena and leaving everyone in awe of her strength.