Chapter 36: I hate family reunions

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

THREE MONTHS LATER

"And no one else is free?" I ask Kaldur. "No, half of the team is in Bialya, and the other half is working on the Vandal Savage case. You're the only one available for patrol." Kaldur says through the hologram. "And your...?" I ask. "In Atlantis, personal business." He says and I sigh. "This is because I woke up late, right?" I say as I walk towards the zeta tubes. "No comment. Aqualad out." Kaldur says as he lets out a small laugh and hangs up. I groan and zeta away.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

"Oh, oh, oh, that's what makes you beautiful!" I sing as I jump along the roofs of Central City. Where were any of the Flashes? No idea. "Baby you light up my world like nobody else, the way you flip your hair gets me overwhe-AGHH!" I say as I twirl around a nearby pole, but lose balance and desperately grab on when the Earth begins to shake. "This is a bad time to have an Earthquake-Oh you've got to be kidding me." I say as I then look up at the sky. At least 30 small red triangular ships were descending from the sky. Then a large one came. It had to be bigger than five football fields. "Why is this always on my patrol?" I mutter.

"Volt to Watchtower, we have a slight problem." I say as I report to the Watchtower. "Captain Atom here, what's the situation?" Captain Atom says. "Is there a scheduled alien invasion for today? Because at least 30 spaceships are descending." I report as I watch the spaceships hover. Silence. "Sensors aren't picking up anything in the atmosphere. Do you need back-up?" Captain Atom says. "No need. I'll check it out and let you know if I do. Volt out." I say as I hang up. I look down. People are pointing to the sky with their phones out. This was so not good.

I was about to go down, when someone grabbed me by the shoulder and turned me around. My heart drops when I see who it is. Long straight brown hair pulled into a ponytail similar to mine. Striking green eyes that scan my face, looking down on me since she's much taller. Same suit but with green details. She's Rebecca Crimson, my sister. "What are you doing?" She hisses at me. My jaw drops. She gives me a confused look. "Don't look at me like that! Why isn't this place conquered? You've been gone for almost two years! What are you doing Chloe?" She asks as she shakes me by the shoulders. My jaw drops further.

"What am I doing? You left me to drift in space when I got hit by a meteor!" I exclaim, recalling the last memory I had with her. She takes a step back and crosses her arms. "No, I didn't. I threw the Green Lantern back onto the ship, then went to get you. I woke you back up, and you went off. Don't you remember this?" Rebecca said as she looked me up and down. "No I don't. I... I dunno. I guess I just didn't get that part back." I muttered. "What do you mean get that part back?" She questions.

"I lost my memory. I don't know how, but it happened, apparently after you helped me." I said as I looked up at her. Her gaze sympathized. "Oh Chloe, come here." She said as she pulled me into a hug. I slowly return it. Then I feel her press her finger to the back of my neck. She holds her breath when she realizes the chip was gone. "Looking for something." I say as I shove her off of me. She looks me up and down again. "You've changed." She says. "From what I can remember, you haven't." I said. "What have you done, Chloe? Why isn't this place conquered? Why are the Reach on trial? Why is your accent gone? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" She questions as she shoves me.

"I didn't conquer this place because I like it! I have friends here, a family! An actual life that was better than my old one!" I say as I push her back. She takes a deep breath. "I didn't want to have to do this." She says. "Try me, bitch." I say as I prepare myself. She gives me a confused look. "Bitch? What is that?" She asks. I return her confused look. "Is Earth cursing not a universal cursing language?" I ask. "No. Sela, define bitch." She says to her wrist, and a small green circle appears. Apparently our suits can do that.