Chapter XXVI: The Fall of Dol Guldor

Not long after that night, I found myself wandering alone through the halls of my palace. I found myself standing before a window beyond my throne looking outward into glistening waterfalls lit by rays of the sun. I fell deep into the thought of Êlúriel's words to me—her face etched deeper into my memory. Though I felt a little pain, I still wore a bandage wrapped securely around my torso.

"What is on your mind, Thranduil," I heard Fëaluin ask as he approached me.

"I saw Êlúriel," I said. "She told me I shall never see her again."

He looked at me without saying a word. His face was stoic, but his eyes seemed animated.

"It is for the best," he said. "Should this war end, our time will come to leave this world for another."

"And if there is no end to war, Fëaluin," I asked. What then? I should remain here and give up life to be with Êlúriel."

"What of your children," he asked. "They would not let you go the way of despair."

"I know," I sighed. "Especially Nenduîl and Tárimë. But I will send them to safety no matter what they say."

"I hardly imagine Legolas or Tarthôn will leave you to your own, either."

"I have lived my life, Fëaluin," I said. "To live an eternity without Êlúriel would be unbearable."

"You will change your mind," he said. "I know you will. For now, your thoughts are needed elsewhere."

"Is there word from Celeborn," I asked. 

"No," he said. "From Dale. King Dáin of Erebor has fallen and at his side King Brand of Dale."

I was crestfallen—remembering my friend Dáin fighting valiantly during the first battle in Dale not long ago.

"From whom was this message sent," I asked quietly.

"From his kinsmen," he said. "You have met him twice before. Dwalin, son of Funduin. His brother disappeared after coming through our kingdom a second time on his way to Khazâd-dûm."

"I remember. Balin," I said. "I dare not think of the fate that befell him and his company though I am sure Aiwendil knows well of it. And who shall rise in their places?"

"Dáin's son Thorin, of course," he began. "To Dale will sit Bard, son Brand."

I knew it would be some time before their coronations but I knew I had to pay my respects.

"I am sure they wish to lay them to rest swiftly," I said. "The war has not yet ended and what will come remains unpredictable."

"Whom do you wish to accompany you," Fëaluin asked.

"You, of course," I answered. "Nimlos and Elranduil. Eldôr should remain behind should word come from Emyn Duir."

"Very well," he answered. "We leave at first light."

He bowed and began to leave.

"Fëaluin," I asked. "You do believe me?"

"How do you mean, Thranduil?"

"That I saw Êlúriel. You believe me?"

"Yes," he said. "Every time you tell me."

"I would do anything to see her again," I said. "I have lived too long without her."

"Then you have not lived long enough," he said.

He smiled and left me puzzled. I took the winding stairs down to the main hall and went into my study where Elranduil waited in my chair.