Chapter XII: The March to Dagorlad

The Alliance of Men and Elves with Dwarves along beside

Armies march off to war together where Sauron doth reside

The shadows of Mordor rise above the armored-clad

As the Men, Elves, and Dwarves march on to Dagorlad.

There was a thick mist to the morning—the light of the sun gave it the color of fire as it began to rise. Standing by the entrance of our tent I thought about all that had happened the night before. I saw two shadows approaching from behind the veil of morning. It was Eldôr and Finëar.

"Good morning, Thranduil," Eldôr said. "Where is Elranduil?"

"As always, Father," Elranduil answered from behind me as he looked over my shoulder. "Watching after my dear cousin. Is that not why I am here?"

"Thank you, Elranduil," I answered. "I am quite well. There is little need to worry."

"No, that is not why you are here," Eldôr answered. "It is far too early for this, son. We are preparing to leave shortly."

I looked around our tent—the others had left and several soldiers came and began to move things out past us quickly.

"Amdir waits for you with Elrond," Finëar said quietly. "Tolo!"

We followed Finëar through the crowded fields of elves making preparations to leave. As we approached his tent, we saw the men standing on their guard in silence. We entered to find Elrond standing with Brendîr and another man unknown to us.

"Thranduil. Elranduil," he said as the three of us entered. Amroth, standing beside Glorfindel seemed more like himself as he acknowledged us. "This is Siran. He will lead Arnor into Dagorlad."

His hair was the color of straw, falling into his brown eyes as he bowed to us.

"Your Highnesses," he said. "It is an honor."

We smiled in return. Finëar moved toward Síran as Amdir and my father entered with Erestor. He stood next to me for the first time since we had arrived at the camp.

"Elrond, I would like a word with you and Síran if you would," Father said. As Elrond motioned for everyone to leave, Father stopped me. "You will stay, Thranduil."

Elranduil turned quickly and left with the others until all but four of us remained.

"Yes, Oropher," Elrond said.

"Do you know the reason for Adanor's rather sudden departure," Father asked sternly of the man.

"I do not, Your Majesty," Síran answered shaken by father's voice. "I was only told that my commander had taken leave for Gondor and I was to take his charge."

"Where is your King? Isildur?"

"I have not seen him this morning, Your Majesty."

"You have not seen Isildur," Elrond asked surprised. "Was he not with you last evening?"

"Yes, My Lord," Síran said. "But for a moment and then he left. His father inquired after him but none of the men knew where he had gone."

"Why do you think he goes off on his own," I asked. "Is there something amiss?"

"I am afraid the only thing I know for certain is that he seems determined to reach Gondor and defeat Sauron," he said. "That is all he will say to anyone. Especially to his men."

Elrond's expression turned to concern. Father looked at me and nodded.

"Thranduil, you may leave. I will join you shortly," he said.