Chapter XVIII: Losing Êlúriel

The time went by quickly—harmoniously with great promise. I watched as my kingdom began to grow again beneath the changing seasons. Many days and nights I spent with my family were the most wondrous. I had not known pain for so long; I was not prepared for when it would come again—with a cruel vengeance that would change me forever.

Until that day, nothing seemed out of place. I noticed Legolas was far more sociable than I was at his age. Outside of the royal household he had made quite a few friends.

A new generation was growing up, coming of age and Eryn Galen seemed to become the pride of all kingdoms in Arda. For the first time, I felt like the king my father wanted me to become.

I stood upon the balcony overlooking the gardens speaking with Nimlos and Tatháron. Since the war, his parents had followed my mother into the Undying Lands and he had become the chief smith. He had become a husband and a father himself, with two daughters. His youngest was Mîráre and Legolas seemed to take a liking to her. We watched our children playing together—not a care to be had.

"I see Mîráre has found a friend in your son," Tatháron said smiling.

"Speaking to Elranduil, have you," I asked. "Leave it to him he will have coupled every child in the kingdom before they can walk."

"Well, you know, Ëariâth has taken a liking to Tarthôn," Nimlos said. "Though I am hardly ready to give her hand just yet. Perhaps when she is older."

"Perhaps a good time would be after she learns to read," I said.

"I think that wise," he said, laughing.

Soon, Aramír approached—a look of concern on his face. He bowed.

"I have gotten word from Randúmîr of movement within our southern borders," he said. "It is not anything he would know, but from what he has said, it comes from darkness."

"What are you saying, Aramír," I asked.

"Gorthaur," he said.

We looked at one another knowing the chill that ran through us. Elranduil, Fëaluin, Finëar, Aramoth, and Elmîr joined us. I knew by their expressions we were all thinking the same.

"I see you have heard of the return of Sauron," Fëaluin said. "But that is by far the least of your concern, Thranduil."

"Aiwendil of Rhosgobel not long since taken his place near our borders," Aramoth began softly. "He has seen one my wife long told me about."

Nimlos' eyes widened and the color drained from his face.

"Glamhoth, Sauron thrakatul-ishi," Aramír whispered. "They have returned to what Aiwendil calls Dol Guldur. There are not many but their evil is stronger."

"He has returned," Nimlos said. "The creature that took my family from. The one that killed Queen Êlúriel's mother, Thranduil."

I stopped breathing. My only thought was to keep Êlúriel safe as I thought of her visions and those of her father.

"Tell me she does not know of such things," I said looking at Nimlos fearfully. "Tell me she does not know what has come into our kingdom."

"I do not know," he said. "But Nenloth would never speak of it to her."

"No," Aramoth said. "Because she knows what she would do if she knew."

"Tatháron, how are we on weaponry," I asked.

"Very good," he answered.

"I want better."

"Yes, Your Majesty," he said, bowing and leaving quickly.