Chapter XX: Prelude to War

I was preparing to go out on a hunt with my sons. When I had a moment, I stood looking out my windows. For the first time, I glanced around my chambers. The silence hurt my ears. I longed to hear the voices of the past—especially Êlúriel's. The thought of her filled my eyes with tears. I left quickly to escape her memory.

In the hall, I met Orísil.

"Your Majesty," he said bowing. "I hope you are well this morning."

"As to be expected," I answered. "I hear you are courting Arlúin. How are you getting on with Aramoth?"

"Her father can be a bit much," he answered smiling. "But he is quite admirable."

"I have known him since my childhood. He is far worse with his brother."

Orísil gave me a weak smile, as I laughed to myself reminiscing about Aramoth and Aramír as boys. By the time we reached the stables, I saw Legolas speaking with Mîráre.

"I will be with my father today," he said quietly. "And my brother. You worry far too much, Mîráre."

"I do not worry too much," she said. "You worry too little. You are a bit full of yourself at times."

"That is why you like me."

She smiled at him. 

"I never said I liked you, Legolas."

She walked away smiling to herself, leaving Legolas bewildered.

"Legolas," I asked. "Is something wrong?"

"No, Ada," he said. "Nothing at all."

"I do believe Mîráre likes you."

"She is merely a friend," he said looking down. "That is all."

The stable hands began leading the horses out as my council began to arrive.

"Legolas is in love," Ardôr teased as he mounted his horse. "She is all he talks about."

"Mîráre is all I hear about," Aruilos said as he rode Gildúril past us with Tarthôn and Orísil riding close behind.

As Nimlos, Aramír, Aramoth, Elmîr, Eldôr, Fëaluin, and Elranduil approached, I noticed Legolas never looked up.

"Legolas, do not listen to them," I said.

"It is true," he said. "I do speak of her often. Do you honestly think she likes me?"

"I know she does. Now, get ready for the hunt, son."

Legolas smiled and went into the stable.

"He is so much like you, Thranduil," Elranduil said. "Nothing changes in this household."

"I can see that," Eldôr said, glaring at his son as the others were laughing.

Just as I mounted my horse, Ëariâth rode out of the stable on a horse near the color of her silver eyes, her long dark hair flowing behind her.

"Ëariâth," Nimlos began. "We spoke of this yesterday. Did you not hear what I said?"

"Yes, Ada," she said. "I was just not listening." 

She rode away, joining Tarthôn nearby.

"Be ever grateful you have sons," he said to me. "Ever so grateful."

I laughed as I took my place at the head of the party. When all were assembled, led by soldiers we headed toward the eastern borders. Though thick thorny vines covered the forest, it was tranquil and unusually quiet.

"It was not the quiet yesterday," Legolas said curiously. "It was filled with orcs and spiders. I do not like this."

Suddenly I stopped. We waited in silence as we heard the snapping of twigs and the crushing of leaves. The guard stood ready I drew my sword. We heard voices coming toward us.