Chapter IV: Love in Eryn Galen

I sat at my father's table in his study nervously writing a note for Êlúriel. Fëaluin waited patiently as he would deliver it to her.

Êlúriel,

I found myself thinking of you this day. Pleasant thoughts they were. I wish to see you again if it pleases you.—Thranduil

Once I signed my name, I rolled the small scroll tightly and handed it to Fëaluin.

"Do not let Father know of it," I whispered.

He nodded and left. As he was leaving, he bowed to my father. I rose quickly and stood by the side of the table anxiously.

"Why have you not left for the day, Thranduil," he said walking toward me as he read something. "Was there something you needed to discuss with me?"

"No, Father," I said. "I was on my way to the barracks."

He looked at me suspiciously.

"Did I instruct you to go there for a reason," he asked sitting down in his chair. "I do not recall there being a need for you to be there."

"I was going to train, Father," I said smiling. I bowed and began to leave.

"Thranduil, what is it that you are hiding from me?" I stopped and turned around slowly.

"What could I possibly hide from my father," I asked. "I am with you nearly every day."

"There are days when you are so much like your mother," he began. "You both are the worst liars I have ever known. Now what has you acting so oddly? You have been this way for some time. If I did not know better, it had something to do with that young maiden that arrived here from Ossiriand not long ago. That surely cannot possibly be the reason for such deception."

Just as I was about to answer him, Eldôr, Eldúir, and Finëar entered followed by Galdúmîr, Nînuir, and Sildúr.

"Your Majesty," Eldôr said bowing with the others. "A word if we may."

"Very well," Father answered. "Take your leave for now, Thranduil. We will finish our discussion later."

I bowed as a feeling of relief came over me. I made my way swiftly out of the study into the hall. As the doors closed, I noted Elranduil speaking with Nimlos. When they saw me, Elranduil motioned to me to join them.

"What do you require," I asked. "I have things I must attend to before evening."

"By things, I will assume this," Nimlos said, handing me a small scroll. I feared it was mine—uncle having discovered it. I opened it to see the most beautiful handwriting.

Thranduil,

That your thoughts turned to me brings me joy, for I have little else but thoughts of you. It would please me greatly to see you again. Send me word of where we might see one another again.—Êlúriel

"I gather she would like to see you again, Thranduil," Elranduil said. "I have not the slightest idea why. I find you rather dull."

"I will ask you kindly not to read what was intended for my eyes, cousin."

"Everyone has read it, Your Highness," Nimlos said. "I am afraid my sister could not contain herself as she has become smitten with Aramoth."

"Please, address me as Thranduil," I said. "And when did this thing happen? It has been barely a week and I have never seen them together."

"Stranger things have happened," Elranduil said smiling.

"What shall I tell Êlúriel, Thranduil," Nimlos said smiling at my cousin. "She awaits an answer. I know her well. I would not keep her waiting long."