Chapter 10

Asher's parents returned a week after Tristan's birthday

Asher's parents returned a week after Tristan's birthday. He couldn't visit so Tristan spent those times working to get his mind off the loneliness, and make cash.

It was late in the evening when Tristan opened the door.

Ethan was talking to some gang members, he turned his chair with a smirk as Tristan walked in. "I heard you banged the prince, nice catch." 

Tristan paused, "where did you hear that from?"

"The streets, it's everywhere," Ethan said.

Tristan panicked internally.
Everywhere! Is that even possible? I hope Asher's alright.

Ethan darted to the bag of cash Tristan held in his left hand then to his eyes. "I bet he tastes like luxury, does he pay you for your services? Maybe I can-"

His palm squeezed into a fist, Tristan’s brows crinkled in disdain. "Shut up! Bastard,"  he flared and stormed off in agitation like a ball of flame. 

"I was kidding. Don't worry, I won't steal him from you, I'm not gay," Ethan laughed.

"Fuck off," Tristan muttered. 

Meanwhile, in the palace, Asher was interrogated like a culprit after lunch.

"Asher," the king called and he raised his gaze.

"Yes, father."

"What were you doing while we were away?" 

"Me? Ah... just regular things," he broke eye contact with Owen.

"But we heard otherwise," his mother chirped in, her voice, sweet, like that of an angel.

"Let me cut to the chase, did you or did you not sleep with a commoner," the king looked at him without breaking eye contact.

"I..." Asher darted at the table, his eyes movement restless as he searched for the right words to say. "... was with Scarlet, maybe someone mistook her for a commoner."

"So, you slept with Scarlet?" Owen said.

"Y-Yes? Yes," he said. Asher grabbed the stem of the glass and took a gulp, his forehead beaded in sweat.

"Hmm... convincing," his father nodded. "... but this commoner was a man, am I right?"

Asher choked on wine. "Sorry," he coughed, then dabbed his mouth with a white napkin.

"Asher, I believe I just asked you a question," his father said in a calm but serious tone.

There's no way out, he knows too much. Maybe he wouldn't be mad if I came clean.

Asher inhaled. "I... Yes, it's true, but I can explain-"

"Asher, take a deep breath," the king said. 

Asher breathed.

"I'm not angry, I want to invite him for dinner, let's get to know him better," Owen held the queen's hand with a smile.

"Really? I should invite him for dinner?" Asher said.

"Of course, why not?"

A grin formed on Asher's face, he could not repress his happiness, he never expected Tristan to be formally introduced to his parents this soon. 

"Excuse me," Asher hurried to his room, trying his best not to run.

His mother's eyes followed him until he exited the room. "He's very excited," Queen Alice turned to her husband. "My lord, I'm just curious, are you truly interested in this commoner?"

A smirk formed at the corner of his lips. "Patience, my dear."

Asher locked his door and squealed, he swiped his pet bird from her opened cage. "Tristan is coming here! Blueberry, do you know what this means? This is progress! We're going to get married anytime soon, I can feel it."

Blueberry wiggled out of his grip. She flapped her white wings around the room. "Marry Tristan, marry Tristan."

"Yes, I will," Asher dipped a feather in ink and grabbed a blank piece of paper. He scribbled a short note.

Dear Tristan, 

Come to the castle tomorrow, by 7 pm, and put on your best formal clothes, it's a surprise.

With love and kisses,
Asher.

He rolled the paper and attached it to her back. "Blueberry, look at me," Asher said and the bird turned. "You need to deliver this message as fast as possible, I need it to marry Tristan, got it?"

"Marry Tristan, marry Tristan," his parrot responded.

Asher grinned. "Good, you're the best in the whole world." She flew out the window.

Asher waved. "And don't tell Tristan what we talked about," he half-yelled from a distance.

Asher sat on the bed, he anticipated Tristan's arrival, his gaze fixed outside.

"I'm here," he jumped through the opened window.

"Tristan!" Asher ran into his arms and hugged him. Asher glimpsed at his dark blue clothes made of silk. "I like this look."

"Thanks."

Asher led him to the throne room to meet his parents first, like they arranged.

Asher glanced at the empty chamber. 

"That's strange, they should be here," he murmured.

Guards sprang from behind the throne, they vaulted and twisted his hands at his back before he could swing his knife. Asher stumbled and fell from the impact.

Asher's parents gracefully walked into the room.

Tristan raised his head, wide-eyed, a hint of fear and confusion in his gaze. "Asher?"

He gasped then turned to his parents. "Mom?" the queen darted away with a sad look.

"Ha! This thief, we meet again," King Owen smiled.

"D-Dad? We were supposed to have dinner," Asher's voice quavered.

"Change of plans," he said. The King looked at Asher, then the guards. "Kill him."