Chapter 1

Far away in the kingdom of Ashernia, prince Asher had a pile of books towered in front of him

"What a boring day," he yawned and glimpsed at the black crow on a tree branch.

"I need some adventure, action if you will, just... something to spice up my life."

He froze at the instinct of a paused shadow behind him. A sharp pain struck his neck before darkness enveloped him.

Consciousness welcomed Asher with a short painful headache, he blinked slowly until his blurred vision cleared. "Where am I?" his eyes broadened at the tall green trees, flying birds, and giant rocks.

I'm outside the castle walls!

Asher tried to stand but his movements were restricted by a thick brown rope.

"Oh, you're awake," a young man sat by the corner, his nose covered by a black mask.

"Who are you?" Asher said.

He dusted his black leather and walked to Asher. "A bandit, don't worry, you'll be free once I get the ransom."

Some adventure and action.

Asher inhaled. "Cool! So, where are we going now?"

The man's eyes widened.
Did he bump his head along the way?

"So, what should I call you?" Asher turned back then wiggled his arms. "Hey, can you help me up? We need to get moving before the palace guards find us."

The bandit blinked twice.
He definitely bumped his head on something
...

The queen knocked on Asher's door. "Darling, it's time for lunch."

She waited for some time then knocked again. "Asher? Hello?"

Is he asleep?

She peeked inside and walked around his chamber. "Asher? Asher!"

Her heart pulsed.
Where is my son!

The queen hurried to her husband, her golden tiara tilted to the side of her wrapped blonde hair. "Asher's missing!" she panted.

He got up from his seat. "Are you sure?"

"Yes! I searched everywhere."

The King darted to his royal messenger . "Send the guards! Find Asher."
...

The two continued their journey into the woods until noon. The man gathered sticks and started a fire.

"Whoa!" Asher flinched at the flames, he marvelled at the trick he witnessed. "How did you do that?"

Asher watched as he skillfully tied some bamboo with vines then walked away.

Asher looked at him.
Hmph! That was rude.

The man returned with a basket of fish and began to roast them.

"So this is how they cook fish," Asher gasped.

"...you're not much of a talker, are you?"

The bandit gave him a fish stick, then darted at the ropes.

Asher stared at him. "I can't eat."

According to my research the prince is harmless, even more moronic in person.
The man untied him.

Asher stretched like a rubber band. "That's better," he lowered his gaze to the fish then to the bandit. "Where's my plate and cutleries? Who eats without a plate and cutleries."

The man ransacked his bag only to find a plate and fork. Asher raised an eyebrow, "that's it?"

He glanced inside his bag then shrugged.

"Nevermind, I'll manage." Asher served himself and ate to his satisfaction.

"Thanks." He snatched the bottle from the bandit and gulped every drop of the water. Asher sighed in satisfaction then returned the plate and bottle. "So, where can I sleep?"

The man glared at the prince for a prolonged time like he was about to strangle his neck, he exhaled. "On the floor."

"Wait, what? I can't sleep on the floor, what if I get bitten by a snake or scorpion? Even worse, I got swallowed by a bear!"

The man walked away and returned shortly with the dishes cleaned. He pointed at two sets of piled leaves. "Sleep here, and I'll sleep over there."

Asher tugged his shirt. "B-But it's unsafe! What if something bad happens to me? The whole of Ashernia will be in great agony," he pushed his head dramatically with his palms, like he was shooting a medieval movie.

"Fine, I'll make a tent," the man hurried to find big leaves and branches then built a lean-to-shelter.

Asher gazed at it, he nodded with a smile. "Wow, goodnight then," he was about to leave when the black-haired bandit pinched his clothes. "Not so fast, you're still a hostage."

Let me remind you.

He tied Asher's hands with a smaller rope. "Don't even try anything funny," the man dilated his coffee brown eyes. "...I'll be watching you."

Asher shrinked. "Relax, I won't," he forced a smile then scurried into his tent.
...

The morning sunlight penetrated his eyes, singing birds rang in his ears like an alarm clock.

The captor took his bath at dawn, then returned, he stayed up till 8 am and hoped for the prince to wake up soon.

"Why isn't he up already? He should be used to waking up around this time at his age."

The man waited for thirty minutes but the prince was still snuggled in his tent.

The captor slowly shut his eyes and opened them again, he tried to fight nature with blinking but his flesh weighed him down.
Maybe I should sleep a bit.

He dozed in a sitting position.
...

The bandit jumped to his feet.
I overslept, just when I decided to rest for a few seconds.

He rushed to the tent, his eyes widened.
The prince is gone!