Midnight Meetings

Start from the beginning

I love Flint more than words can describe.

I thought it would be easy.

I thought I would end up marrying him, have children...

I looked at the band on my left hand.

I'll never stop fighting for you.

That was my promise, wasn't it?

So I have to find a way. There must be a way.

I grabbed the red silk robe that had been left by my bedside for me and put it on before taking one of the lamps.

"There has to be a way." I repeated to myself.

I walked out the room door.

There were no guards. I guess they weren't expecting me to run anymore.

Candles caused a dim light to illuminate the hallway.

I tried to recall the path Queen Sheila had used as I navigated the hall looking for something familiar that would jog my memory to Lord Ferdinand's office. If someone could give me sound advice, I bet it would be him.

It was so quiet and after what felt like minutes, I dejectedly decided that I was lost.

I wanted to turn back and try to retrace my steps but just then, I heard voices and I hid behind one of the curving walls.

I don't know why I hid. It's not like I was trying to run away.

But the minute I heard the voice speak again, I knew that I had made a good call.

"Ember will you wait?" The unmistakable sound of Prince Aiden's voice filled the hallway as well as hurried footsteps.

"Why? Why should I wait, Aiden?" A voice, I'm guessing belonged to Ember snapped. And the footsteps stopped. "You don't need me anymore. You have your precious princess."

I peeked around the corner and saw Prince Aiden's hand wrapped around Ember's forearm as he stared into her eyes.

"She means nothing to me."

"But you're still going to marry her." Ember roughly pulled out of his hold.

"Only because I have no choice. It is my duty and you know that." He spoke sounding frustrated.

"I understand. You have to marry a beautiful young princess who will make you king, how terribly dreadful for you, your highness." Ember spat sarcastically.

Ember spun around to storm off again but Prince Aiden grabbed her hand.

"I don't see her as beautiful! I don't see her as anything other than the burden I will have to bare for the rest of my life."

Ember was quiet.

"Ember." He spoke her name softly as he moved closer to her. He placed a hand on her cheek. "If I could, I would marry you but you know the kingdom would never go for that. They will want to see the rightful heir on the throne again, not -"

"Some girl who cannot even bend." She let out a humourless laugh. "I would be a disgrace, wouldn't I?"

"You're not a -"

"You're not obliged to take the throne, you know. Now that the Princess is back, you have more of a reason than ever to step down." She took his hands in hers. "To leave... we could leave, Aiden. We could go far away and get away from this place and its politics and problems."

"My father would find us." Prince Aiden spoke. "And I already told, I cannot run away from this. I was raised to be king, high king. I've worked hard my whole life to enter the Ascension and win."