(142) July 28, 2020

Message

"Tangina..." napatingin si Primo sa katabi. He glared at his cousin and turned his phone off. "I-message mo na."

Primo stood up, away from his prying cousins. He was about to leave the garden but Fico was quick to place his arm around his shoulders. Iginiya siya nito pabalik sa swing na kinauupan nito, sa tabi ni Mav.

"Sabihin mo na lang na you love academics so much na gusto mong tumulong sa mga nangangailangan," Fico suggested as he plopped down to the chair in front of him.

Si Primo ang unang tumambay sa garden. He wanted some peace and quiet so he stayed at the rattan swing, hoping to have some nap. But then, his sister sent a screenshot of one of Miara's tweet, so now he's thinking about a school project that isn't even his.

"I'm not even following her on Twitter," Primo replied with a grunt. "And that sounds so condescending!"

His cousins continued to talk about him... and Miara... while his mind wandered off to why he's not following her on Twitter.

Why am I being problematic about this?

"Edi sabihin mong na-mention namin," Ciara suggested. Umupo ito sa tabi niya at niyakap siya mula sa tagiliran.

Among all his siblings, Ciara is the clingy one. She's the honest and vocal one. Although they're all close with one another, he and Ciara resonate with each other on another level. Kaya tuwing may bumabagabag sa kaniya, si Ciara ang una niyang kinakausap.

"And she'll think that we're talking about her? No thank you," he dismissed. He was about to leave again, but since his sister's arms are all over him, she was quick to pull him back to sit.

"Well, aren't we?" Ani Fico.

"What's her name again?" Mav asked. Sabay-sabay namang sumagot ang tatlo, halatang atat na atat.

Mav typed something on his phone with a mischievous look on his face. Primo didn't like it. He knows his cousin too well that he even knows what he's thinking.

Compared to Fico, Atien, and himself, Mav is the carefree one which, in turn, makes him more confident. When he wants to speak to a girl, he'd do it. So Primo knows that if Miara catches Mav's eyes, his cousin will do something about it.

Something swelled in his chest—a heavy and uncomfortable feeling. He can feel his body tensing up. And he doesn't like that idea. And it's worse because he's not sure why.

There's that idea that has been lingering in his mind but he still finds it improbable.

I'm just concerned because Mav likes to play around. He thought to himself. But deep down, he also knows that that's not the only reason why.

"If you don't want to, I'll message her instead," Mav offered with a grin. In a different setting, he would chuckle and think to himself how teasing Mav can be. But today, all he can think of is to shoo his cousins off.

"I'll introduce myself as the manager of Zobel farms," dagdag pa ni Mav na ikinatawa naman ng mga pinsan at kapatid niya. "Plus, she's definitely my type. Maybe we can work things out."

Nagtiim-bagang siya. Mav hit the spot but Primo also doesn't want to lose his cool because if he will, they'll tease him more.

"Zobel farms?" Aniya sa kontroladong boses. It's not helping that Ciara, Fico, and Atien are sharing teasing glances.

"Your Mom's properties here in La Carlota are under your name since your Forbes houses are under your Achi's—"

"I know!" He hissed.

"We'll hit three birds at once—I help her with her project, I get to know her, and you get to earn more revenue from your farm produce—"

"We have people for that!" He cut Mav off again, this time his tone rose. Annoyed but still controlled. "Plus, we're suppliers of—"

Mav was oblivious to Primo's nonverbal language. He knows that they're just teasing him and trying to make him message Miara but he still can't help but feel irritated.

"Yeah, yeah, I know... but you have lots of unused products—the imperfect produce! They most likely end up in the trash or compost pits, right?"

Primo felt his sister's hand caressing his back. It calmed him a bit but the irritation he's feeling is still fervent. "How's Miara gonna help?"

Mav smiled triumphantly. "That's up to her creativity and ideas."

"If you won't text her, I can still tweet about it," Ciara said with a shrug.

Primo shook his head and finally stood up. Hindi na siya napigilan ng kapatid. "Why is everyone a blackmailer?"

"Hey! That's a generalization and I refuse to be subjected under—" pag-angal ni Fico pero mabilis naman siyang pinatahimik ni Atien.

"Shut up, Fico."

Primo took his phone out again and headed to the garden's exit. Ngunit bago siya tuluyang makapasok sa main house, nilingon niya ulit si Mav. He has a dark look and Mav saw it. His cousin only smirked before typing something in his phone.

Fuck! Did he message her?! Damn it! I'm should message Miara!

His thoughts were cut off when his phone vibrated. It was a Messenger notification

Mateo Valentin Pei:

Don't worry, Ahia. I won't message her. ;)

He glanced at Mav again and their eyes met. Mav is still smirking but Primo turned his back. Nang makapasok na siya ay doon niya lang pinalabas ang matagumpay na ngiti.

Primo Zobel Savatier:

Good. Don't even think about it.

He suddenly felt at ease and his mood lightened up. He composed himself, then started searching for Miara's name in his inbox.