(8) July 5, 2020

Stuck

"Anong nangyari?" Kinakabahang tanong ni Miara. Sandali siyang sinulyapan ng lalaki bago ngumuso sa kaharap nito.

Miara took it as a cue to stand beside him. And just like what she saw, a group of three people in PPE are standing at the doorway. One is holding a huge plastic bag, another is carrying a water container while the other is speaking.

"Mr. Savatier, the whole building is placed on total lockdown starting today since almost half of the staff tested positive. This decision is also aligned to the lockdown implemented on Metro Manila," the woman in PPE said, making Miara gasp.

"With that being said, no one is allowed to leave the building and the board of directors extends their apology for this sudden decision... we would also be providing you your necessities that will last for the whole duration of this lockdown..." 

Pagkatapos magsalita ng babae ay nilahad ng dalawa niyang kasamahan ang malaking plastic bag at ang container ng tubig. Hindi na sila nagtagal at mabilis na nagpaalam. Tinanguan pa si Miara ng mga ito pero naestatwa siya sa kaniyang kinatatayuan dahil sa gulat.

"Lockdown ang buong building?" Hindi makapaniwalang tanong ni Miara sa lalaki.

The guy shrugged. "I'll go with you. They might still let you out."

Miara hurriedly arranged her things while the guy wore his face mask, then handing her one. She muttered a "thank you," just realizing that she still doesn't know his name.

Hindi 'yan importante ngayon, Miara! A voice in her mind spoke.

When they reached the lobby, Miara's heart sank at what she saw. People in white were everywhere! Even the securities and staffs are wearing PPE. They were holding a machine, probably to disinfect the surroundings.

"Lalabas kayo? Hindi na pwede," anang isang babae na nakasalubong nina Miara. Nakasimangot itong bumalik sa elevator.

The guy gestured Miara to the front desk. Nauna itong maglakad at nakita ni Miara na kinausap na ng lalaki ang manager. Nang tumabi si Miara sa lalaki ay nagulat siya nang lumapit ito sa kaniya at ipinalibot ang kamay nito sa kaniyang baywang.

Walang may naintindihan si Miara sa sinasabi ng lalaki dahil nakatuon ang kaniyang mga mata sa kamay nito sa may baywang niya. Akala ni Miara ay hinawakan nito ang kaniyang baywang pero bago niya lang napagtanto na hindi dumadapo ang kamay ng lalaki sa kaniya.

To the people looking, they would surely think that the guy's hand is on Miara's waist. But the truth here is that his hand is only a few millimeters away from her waist.

"We just have to go to the groceries," anang lalaki sa nangungumbinsing boses. "My girlfriend here is vegetarian, you only gave us canned goods. She only eats Basmati rice as well..." he added with a dramatic sigh.

Now I know why... Miara thought.

She couldn't help but stifle a smile because of what he did. She appreciates his effort despite the fact that she's not supposed to be with him.

"Don't worry, Mr. Savatier, just list your needs and we'll deliver them right on your doorstep," anang manager at nginitiaan pa si Miara. Doon lang nabalik sa wisyo si Miara at bigla ulit natandaan ang sitwasyon nila.

Hindi inasahan ni Miara na ganito ang mangyayari. Tuwing may news kasi na nagsasabi na may lockdown o ano man, hindi niya na iyon sineseryoso dahil hindi naman mahigpit ang gobyerno at marami ang nakakalusot.

The manager bowed to them before excusing himself. Miara turned to the guy, wanting to say something but couldn't find the words.

The guy sighed, then leaning on the counter of the front desk. "Well... I guess you're stuck with me, Miara."