Chapter 9

I was trying my best to keep my cool and appear unfazed by the eerie dark room we were locked in.

Even after my best efforts, my thoughts got the best of me.

As soon as I heard another voice after a long pause filled with silence, I couldn't contain myself and my heart was ready to leap out of my mouth as I jumped in my seat, completely shaken at the sudden sound.

Without my consent or even notice, a gasp had also escaped from my mouth as a response to that sudden shock.

When I was finally successful in calming my heart down a bit, I noticed that his crimson eyes, which were reflecting the little light that was coming in the room, were fixated on me.

The gaze was nerve wrecking and piercing, as if it was looking through my soul. I got goosebumps when I heard his deep voice slightly echoing through the dark room.

"You're scared of dark?" He asked, though the expected mocking tone was absent.

"No?" I said unsure of how to respond to this.

"Okay. Then yourself, it is." He said, his voice thoughtful.

"Huh?" I uttered confused.

What does he mean by that?

"Your thoughts are what terrifies you of what resides in the dark, if I'm not wrong?" He said, the realisation of his presence eliciting a sense of safety inside me.

Yeah yeah, you sound like you know everything.

Is he trying to sound smart or starting off a conversation?

Shrugging it off, I pushed the question at the back of my mind and decided to have a conversation with him instead of drifting into the world of horrific imagination and exploring the extent of spine chilling thoughts my brain could muster.

"No comments on your insightful remark. Anyways, I was curious. Why do you promote technology soo much in your designs?" I queried, unable to contain my inquisitiveness.

I saw his silhouette intently to notice the little movement as he shrugged before speaking up "I don't care about technology, but people do. Your business is still fresh so you try to make it warm and comfortable for them but in high society, where we have stabilized our business, it's all about flaunting. That's all that they know and need. Modernity and impressive sophistication. "

Well... he's not wrong. They do care about boasting more than anything else.

"I see." I responded thoughtfully.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting him to reply. I was anticipating a more cold and sarcastic respond.

Maybe it's really true that people are more open to conversations at night, when they are tired. Having a bit knowledge of human behaviour is not a waste afterall.

Encouraged by his serious response to my prior question, I dared to ask more "So, what's your actual style of designing?"

"It's said to be modern and sophistication, just as what they need." He replied, but his selection of words was framing a vague response.

'It's said to be'? He's not telling his own opinion, is he?

"I was asking your actual designing style, not what people say it is." I clarified.

He remained silent for a while longer but at last responded "Probably fusing different styles to bring out the best of each of them?"

I processed his reply, his voice was quiet, almost disappointed.

I think that's why he was annoyed at this project being shared? He finally had the opportunity to showcase his real designing skills without hiding it with the sophisticated curtain of modernization.

But, this opportunity is just as essential for me as well. I couldn't leave such a once in a lifetime opportunity too.

Maybe this is what we both needed for gaining the acknowledgement that we yearn for.

So that means, we both are going to give our best efforts for this project!

Maybe I was quiet for too long, thinking about his response, as he spoke up, his words were surprisingly void from that previous coldness.

"Your team is not too bad, so probably this project won't turn out as a complete failure anyways, so I suppose, better than other unexperienced companies." His way of saying it was as if it took all his energy to say that.

But either way, it was quite an unpredictable remark from the coldy.

"I'll take that as a compliment." I mused, a sense of pride and happiness bubbling inside me for the indirect acknowledgement from a leading businessman like him.

Even though I have issues from his behaviour, I can't deny the success he has achieved in such a short time.

Thinking of how he buried his own methods and ways of working though, I made a promise to myself. I will give them what they want, but there will still be an essence of what I want to represent with my designs.

I will work hard to provide them with what they truly want!

I glanced at Kai sitting at the opposite side, his silhouette appearing a bit relaxed than earlier when he's usually around me.

I think there's more to him than appears to the eyes. That doesn't mean I'll let it slide if he acts like a jerk though!

"Anyone here?" I heard a voice calling out from outside and immediately jumped on my feet from the chair I was sitting on.

Finally someone is here!!

I glanced at him and he stood up as well, though his body language was alerted, rather than relaxed.

I seriously don't understand this guy.

You should be happy that we get to leave early from here instead of waiting till morning!

"We are here!! In this stupidly modern room!!" I shouted in hope that they'd hear me.