Chapter 8

I reached for the door but my attempt to open it was in vain.

Huh?

I fumbled with the doorknob a bit more, having my doubts on my first trial but as I was unable to open the door, panicked crept over me slowly.

Trying to keep myself calm, I turned to him and uttered "Is this some kind of prank? Just open whichever fancy lock you have put on it."

He looked at me with furrowed brows and came to stand beside me to open the door. 

To my dismay, his attempt was purely similar to mine and it concluded with the same outcome as mine.

He tried again, this time his attempt was a bit furious but the modern door didn't budge.

He ceased his attempts, appearing to be thinking of some possible escape from the room.

Seriously?

"Don't you dare say we're stuck here!" I said, my frustration reaching it's peak.

"Didn't know you were fond of false assurances." He responded and oh, how badly I wanted to push this guy off a skyscraper!

"Of all the people in this world, it has to be you!? And we can't even contact anyone, all thanks to your network jammer!" I snapped at him.

"As if I appreciate your presence around me even the slightest." He retorted, matching my tone.

"Then do one thing, forge a bulldozer out of your unbreakable ego and crush this door! My friends must be waiting for me while I'm stuck with a jerk like you!" I debated.

After this long time I got to unite with them all and here I am, wasting my time helplessly with this guy.

Time was passing ever so slowly as we tried to look for a way to get out of that room.

Again, I checked my phone in hope that his jammer would just get spoilt miraculously and let us contact someone outside! But no, the guy had paid special attention to technology. 

I had tried shouting in hope that someone, just someone might hear that we're in here but the walls are soundproof for helping in concentration!!

Stupid office.

I was turning the room upside down to find a way out as I heard him say in an irritated tone "Just sit at one place and stop causing destruction."

"I want to get out of here right now!" I announced impatiently.

"Why might that be? And anyways, your attempts are futile, the security system might have got activated, so better sit quietly." He replied.

"Because my friends whom I met after such a long time must be waiting! Do you even know how rare it is for everyone to gather like that?!" I uttered.

His stoic expressions were slightly overwritten by a thoughtful look which quickly disappeared as he muttered "Then return early for the days until you all are gathered. It was foolish of you to stay back even today."

"I just wanted to complete this designing work by Sunday so I could spend more time with them all. But I ended up getting stuck here, that too with you." I said the last part glaring at him.

Above that, I was famished! I was soo engrossed with work that I didn't even have my lunch properly. As if reading through my thoughts, he stood up and went to his desk.

He took out a box of cookies from one of the drawer and put it on the table in front of me.

I looked at him dumbfounded as he mumbled "My assistant stays late here quite often so he keeps something or the other to relieve his hunger in emergency."

With that said, he went to sit at the other side of the table.

Is he not going to eat anything?

I opened the box and picked up a cookie before sliding it towards him on the opposite side of the table.

He raised an eyebrow questioningly and I felt if this guy became such a popular businessman just by a mere fluke.

Just what do you think it means if I slide a box filled with cookies towards you? To make you have a look at it? To get their quantity or quality checked or what?
Isn't it obvious I'm offering him to eat??
What an airhead!

"Even if you are one, no need to act like a total airhead all the time. Just take it already." I said, a bit of annoyance tracing my voice.

"I don't need it." He said indifferently.

"Yeah I know. You are a robot who mistakenly got mixed up between humans." I spat out sarcastically.

The ice cube still didn't respond so I crossed my arms and leaned back in my seat grumpily.

Why do I have such stubborn people around me??

"Why are you not eating now? Weren't you hungry?" He asked with a sigh.

"Giving you companionship." I said adamantly with irritation.

He rolled his eyes as he leaned forward and picked up a cookie from the box. "Fine?" He asked.

As a response I too picked another cookie.

We both were doing our work when the lights went off out of the blue.

"Wow, now you don't even have an inverter here?" I asked.

"Lights went off due to the schedule we had set. Nobody stays here till this late." He explained.

"Okay." I muttered.

It was eerily quiet and dark, sending shivers down my spine everytime I heard any sound. My phones battery wasn't much, so I was merely turning on the screen, pretending to check the time, once in a while.

Why does he have to keep such functions?? And why all the ghost stories are coming into my mind right now??