Chapter Twenty-Six

The days leading up to the funeral were exceptionally tough for Aiden, and ultimately, Wes as well. They had to work together to organize the entire thing, choosing the casket they wanted as well as the urns to be used. The funeral home was more than considerate and helpful. To Luke's surprise, throughout everything, Aiden managed to keep a tough exterior. He handled everything professionally, clearly putting thought into what they were going to do.

Yet the only thing he seemed nervous about was the meeting with Jay's ex, Cass. He had finally arrived, and Jamison had taken it upon himself to go get him from the airport. Aiden was currently sitting in his office with a tray of hot tea in front of him, looking beyond stressed. Luke was sitting in the chair behind his desk while Wes stood near to him.

When the doors opened, Luke was surprised to finally see what Cass looked like. He was rather short and had platinum blonde hair. He offered Aiden a wide smile the second he saw him and moved towards him as Aiden stood.

"Cass," Aiden murmured, his arms winding tightly around him. His eyes fluttered closed as he held the male close for a moment before a deep sigh fell from him.
"Cass, I need to tell you something."

As he spoke, he pulled the male to sit beside him on the couch, taking his hand firmly in his.
"I assumed you did, seeing as you flew me all this way. What is going on, Aiden?"

Aiden was silent for a moment before he took a deep breath, shaking his head.
"I am so sorry, Cass. Jay is dead. H-He died of cancer. I wanted to call you, but he -"

"I am sure that he refused. He probably told you that he did not want me to see him like that or something along those lines." Cass cut Aiden off before he squeezed his hand firmly, lifting it to his lips after a moment.
"I know, Aiden. I have known he had cancer, even before he decided to send me away."

Aiden was silent, clearly caught off guard by his words. He hesitated before clearing his throat.
"H-How? He said he never told you?" It was hard to hear Aiden's voice, to hear how it was thick with grief and pain.

"He didn't. The paperwork was on his desk, and I saw it." Cass explained, considering Aiden before he offered him a small smile.
"I knew this day was going to come eventually. It is why I allowed him to send me away."

"He loved you a lot, I hope you know that. It wasn't.... I know things changed for him when you left. It was hard on him." Aiden murmured the words as he moved closer to Cass. There was no denying the tears Cass was trying to fight back as he moved to lay his head onto Aiden's shoulder. Aiden was silent for a moment before he looked at Wes and Luke. Without a single word, he jerked his head towards the door, clearly dismissing them.

After their meeting, both Cass and Aiden had come out of the room with red-rimmed eyes. Yet they both had a smile on their faces, and Aiden was holding Cass' hand firmly in his.

After Cass had been told, Aiden had walked him through everything they set up for the funeral.

Wes informed Aiden they would be returning home, but to call if there was absolutely anything he needed. On the car ride home, Wes was silent, and Luke could not help studying him, trying to read his face. It was clear he was tense, most likely under a lot of stress with the pain his friend, a man who was like a brother to him, was suffering from.

"Wes," Luke began softly, reaching over to place his hand on his thigh. He hesitated before he spoke.
"You seem tense, my love."

"I am." Wes admitted softly. Luke considered him, biting the inside of his cheek before offering a smile.

"What can I do to help?" At his words, Wes glanced his way briefly before his eyes returned to the road. He was silent for a moment, something which concerned Luke, until he finally spoke.