Chapter 3

"Fly away!" shouted Ashlea "Fly away!"

But another voice spoke to me. "Are you a shifter?" I realized that it was coming from the falcon.

"Did it just speak to me? And why is it asking if I'm a shifter?"

"Like I said earlier, I don't know how many bird shifters are in this area. It might be one."

As I flew away, I asked in a yell "Are you a shifter?"

"Well, I'm talking to you. No normal bird could do that. I know you're a shifter, and you know I'm one now. But I've never seen you around here."

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Trinity. Trinity Alis."

That was the name of my friend.

"Do you happen to have a friend named Madelyn Ruth?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"That's me," I answered.

"You're a shifter?"

"Yes. How come you never told me that you're a shifter?"

"You have to be careful who you tell. If you're sure that the person you're telling is a shifter, then that's usually okay because telling their secret increases the chances of themselves getting caught."

"So, you know her?"

"She's my best friend," I answered "Of course I know her!"

"Why weren't you at school today?" asked Trinity "Because I know that you didn't just faint. Something else is up."

"Should I tell her?"

"She's your friend. If you can trust her, go for it."

"I did faint. I just became a shifter today." I replied "Long story short, I found a spirit in physical form, she had a broken wing, she went to spirit form. She went inside me, I became a shifter. When she went in me, I fainted, and my parents didn't want me to go to school."

"But only spirits part of the council can assume a physical shape... oh. So, you can change into other species of bird? That's so cool!"

"To be honest, I haven't done that yet. Just shifted today, remember?"

"Oh, right. Sorry if I scared you when I flew up to you. Probably looked intimidating."

"You did. Say, what time is it?"