Chapter Thirty Five. I Lied

Lake Larson

Lake Larson

"Okay," I said, opening my door to the cold weather. "You sure you want to stay behind?"

"Yep," Ian replied, waving me off. "I've been feeling tired."

I raised a brow, idling in the doorway. "Aren't you tethered to me? I remember you saying something like that." Bringing my hand to my hip. I eyed him. "Also, how are you tired? Ghosts aren't supposed to be tired."

Ian smirked. "First, I lied." He fell back onto the bed. "Second, who knows?"

I glared at him, snagging my backpack next to the door. "You lied?"

Ian poked his head up. "Of course, I lied." He pointed at me. "You tried to kick me out the first chance you got."

Pulling my backpack on, I checked the time on my wall. "Okay, I will give you that one."

Ian half sat up, bringing his hand to his forehead, and saluted me. "Bye-bye, Lake, don't be late for your first class."

I rolled my eyes, shutting the door without saying goodbye to him. The chilly stairwell whistled between steps from the wind while the puddles of water formed from the rain all night. With my hood on, I raced through campus to my geography class, only two weeks left.

The room filled with students before the professor walked into the class. He stacked a pile of folders on his desk before glancing at the students.

"Grab one and have the material finished by the last day. This assignment will be the last thing to determine twenty percent of your grade, so you have two weeks to work on it. Every folder is different, so don't think about copying, but I encourage you to work together." The professor waved us to the front. "Okay, grab one, and I'll see everyone on the last day of school to turn them in."

"Dope," the guy next to me said before standing up and rushing to grab a folder.

The rest of the class followed in confusion, but stood to get a folder. I stuffed my pen into my backpack and strolled to the front like everyone else.

With my hand on a bright green folder, the teacher raised a brow. "Good luck."

I hesitated with the folder, feeling his comment was a challenge. "Thank you," I whispered before gripping the one below the bright green tightly and leaving the class with a teal one.

With time to spare, I paced in the hallway before deciding to head to my next class. My yellow jacket kept me dry from the rain while running outside, but not much help with the cold. The wind blew the bare trees around, whistling between the buildings.

My phone vibrated as I slowed in the rain, seeing Alex's face on my screen, knowing she could help waste my time.

"Hey, the best friend in the world," I said into my phone, walking to my building. The excitement and happiness whistled off my voice.