Chapter Twelve. Battery-Operated Flashlight

Lake Larson

Lake Larson

The icy wind picked up as the lights for the field flickered on. The mist in the air froze to my face with the clouds threatening to rain. With the night sky, a grey shadow masked the metal stands with people filling in. Rain and soccer always set the scene for drama movies, but truthfully, it was like skipping a rock across a lake.

The grass soaked my soccer shoes as I jogged in place, rubbing my hands together. I pulled on my socks, lifting them over my knees to feel the warmth.

"You look freezing," Ian said while I jumped in place, stretching my legs.

I glanced across the field to the rest of the team as I rolled a ball under my foot, getting ready for the game away from others. I needed to warm up, but my body only wanted to cuddle in a bed curled in the fetal position.

"Y-y-y-yeah," I stuttered to Ian with my bottom jaw chattering.

"Okay, well, you need to warm up your body," Ian said, jumping up and down, doing a half-jumping jack. "Let's jog around the field."

He took off running before I responded, waving his hand for me to follow. I huffed in annoyance but dug my cleats into the grass, catching him. With my hands rubbing together, I breathed on them, seeing my breath float around my face. The water splashed around my ankles while we rounded to the front of the bleachers.

"Lake!" a voice yelled from the crowd of students.

I glanced around the faces, not seeing anyone I'd want to talk to.

"Who is he?" Ian asked when my eyes lingered on Jacob, the creep on the men's soccer club.

"Jacob," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Oh," Ian watched Jacob. "And judging by your expression, you don't like him." He jogged ahead of me, glancing back as we passed the bleachers.

"Right on the target," I giggled with Ian as his eyes widened.

"Well, prepare yourself because here he comes," Ian said, surprising me.

I glance behind, seeing Jacob stumbling toward us. "You got to be kidding me," I whispered, wanting to run.

"Lake!" Jacob waved his hands above his head. "Hey, wait up."

I fake smiled at him as he rounded to the front of me with a mirroring grin. He brushed his hand on my head, patting it while looking over my shoulder at the bleachers. I stepped back as his hand fell from my hair, sloppy. He chuckled to the ground as I glanced behind at the stands to see his friends fist-bumping each other while watching us.

"What do you want?" I rolled my eyes, keeping my distance from Jacob, but he kept stepping closer.

"Coming in hot already," Jacob replied. "I like my woman spicy."