Seven: Smart Boss

Start from the beginning

"Good," she says, scrolling through something on her phone. "I'm beginning to think you wish to quit. Sonoma, Nathan."

"Nathan?"

"That would be me," says the driver.

Kalypso dials an unknown number on her iPhone. FBI has already doing tapped her phones—both the business and personal phone. "Hello? This is Kalypso Queen. Minerva, don't be stupid. You're not going to the charity gala. I don't care. You're not. I don't care what Father said. Father can do whatever he likes, but you have work to do. Ralph Lauren—"

Even from the front seat, I can hear the angry squabbling on Kalypso's other end.

Minerva Capello is Kalypso's sister. In the divorce of Peggy Queen and Piero Capello, Minerva stood on her father's side. Kalypso, her mother's. The sisters have a decent relationship, but I'm sure that Kalypso has the skill to tick off her sister very frequently.

Then Kalypso's other phone rings.

"Minerva, I have someone on the other line. I'll talk to you at dinner." She hangs up on her sister, not bothering to say farewell. Then she picks up her sleek Blackberry. "Mr. Woods. This better be good. Did she sign the forms yet?"

I strain my ear, wishing I could hear the man on the other end. Tami and I might learn all about it later from Gabi or Brigham.

"She has not? We both know that we need to get the confidential forms signed. It is company policy. I don't care that she keeps on crying over her missing husband"—I flinch, knowing who exactly Kalypso is talking about—"but those forms need to be signed by the end of this month. I'm going to fire you if you can't complete a simple request, Mr. Woods. Yes. I am. There are a lot of unemployed lawyers who would love to have your job, and I don't have to pay them as much as you."

Then she hangs up on her Blackberry.

"I want you to get green tea as soon as we arrive at the winery," says Kalypso, after a moment of silence. "Get my sister's luggage out of my estate and check it into any hotel. I don't care which one. Any of them. I need Peter to call me back by seven o'clock, and tell his assistant that I don't care which suit he wants to wear as long as it is appropriate for the gala. Call all of the wineries in Italy and have them ship their latest bottle of white wine. If they don't have white wine, then get the latest case of merlot. I want the CEO on the line. Fax his office the most updated version of 83, 23b, and 23.

"Yes, Miss." Tami nods. In the mirror, I can see her mouthing some obscenities.

I smile. This is one of the worse assignments Meyer can give her. Pretending to be a corrupted cop is completely alright, but being an assistant kills her.

***

"Miss Queen." The vintner of Sonoma's winery runs by Kalypso's side, struggling to keep up with her quick pace. "Miss Queen, I don't know—"

"Not knowing something is an unacceptable answer," cuts in Kalypso, looking around at the wine barrels in a neat row. "You either have that case prepared for me or you don't. Mr. Letterman, I hope you know what you have been doing for the last two days. A case of pinot noir is not too much to ask for. This—"

"The yields aren't as high as last year's," reluctantly explains Mr. Letterman. "The drought has been affecting the vineyards. The quality isn't as good, and I'm afraid that—"

Kalypso suddenly stops in her tracks and turns on Mr. Letterman. Though he is a tall man of exactly six feet, he is daunted by the petite woman standing before him.

Softly, she asks, "The grapes are drying out? Why wasn't my office informed of this?"

"We..."

"Oh, get out!" she yells. "Out! Now! Out of my sights!"

Mr. Letterman quickly runs out.

"I'm surrounded by ineptness," mutters Kalypso. She then pulls out her phone and starts calling people. "Hello? This is Kalypso Queen. I'm at Sonoma's winery, and I need you to start producing pinot noir as soon as possible. The winery isn't going to have enough bottles this year to meet the quota. I'm sure Mr. Letterman will find some alternative uses for whatever is left of the grapes. This is unconceivable."

She walks off, and I'm left alone.

Tanya is doing her tasks, and I have no clue to what I'm supposed to be doing. I touch a nearby wine barrel, marveling at the oak wood.

"Mr. Patch!" hollers Kalypso, the moment of peace gone.

"Yes, Miss Queen?" I'm familiar with her calling me all of the wrong names. She does the same thing to Tami and anyone who is beneath her attention.

"Follow me."