Beautiful Father

Request from: Lieblingslok_01

Gustave reassures Erik that he accepts him for who he is!

------------------------------------------

   Erik works in the kitchen preparing dinner while Gustave watches from the doorway. It's awkwardly silent, mostly for Gustave. Erik is used to quiet in his home, but this has only recently become home to the young boy. His mother died a few weeks ago, now it is just him and his father. That is not all, he learned only recently that this man is his father. It has been a very strange couple of weeks.

Erik's eyes don't leave the food on the stove, but he is still well aware of his son lurking nearby. "Dinner is almost ready. Please clean up and set the table for us." His father's voice scares him out of his thoughts, Gustave scurries away to the nearby bathroom to wash his hands. That makes Erik smile as he grabs two plates from the cupboard.

The two of them sit down at the dining room table. The whole they eat Gustave keeps his gaze on his father's mask. Guilt burdens his heart. When his father decided to show his true self...he screamed. His father's face shocked him so much that he couldn't help but scream, but now he regrets that deeply. Erik has kept his mask on since. Gustave wishes he would take it off though; he is no longer afraid.

"Papa, may I ask you to do something?"

That cute name makes Erik smile softly, "Of course, I would do anything for you, my boy."

Gustave smiles innocently as he tries to ease into this question, "Would you take off your mask? I'm sure it's uncomfortable wearing it so often."

"No, I need to wear it," he mumbles quietly. He sighs heavily and stands up while picking up his plate and putting it away, "I'm not very hungry. I'll be in my study if you need anything." His voice is dripped in despair, Gustave assumes it must be because of his horrible first reaction.

Gustave quickly stands up and grabs his dad's hand, "Wait! Please stay. I don't want to be alone while I eat." He pauses for a moment, but then shakes his head while pulling his hand back towards himself. His son resorts to begging, "Please! It's lonely...I am sorry if I offended you with my question. I won't be afraid, I swear Papa!"

Erik ignores the pleas and leads his son back to the chair, "Finish your dinner." Before Gustave can say anything else, Erik leaves the dining room and rushes off to his study to drown himself in his work. Gustave sighs heavily as he picks at his plate.

Once he finishes his dinner, just like his father asked, he runs to the study. He knocks but doesn't wait for an answer. When he enters, Erik turns around and faces his son, "It's polite to wait for me to let you in, please do so." He watches as his son stands right beside him with a stern expression, but it only ends up making him look adorable.

He crosses his arms to show his seriousness, "Papa, why won't you take off your mask? You don't need to wear it at home. I love your face!"

The man in question subconsciously rolls his eyes, "You love it? You've only seen it once and were terrified. You don't need to say that for my sake, my dear boy."

His son frowns, he knew that his awful response had an impact on his father, he shakes his head. "I'm not trying to be nice, I mean it. I love you and that means I love your face too." That doesn't seem to make him crack so he slides into guilt instead, "Don't people deserve second chances?"

Erik looks at his son with a slight expression of disbelief. He chuckles gently, "Yes, they do. Are you sure you want me to take it off?" His voice wavers slightly as his hesitation grows.

"Yes!" Gustave into Erik's lap and hugs him tightly. Erik tenses up, but he still wraps his arms around his son. To try and seal the deal Gustave squeezes him tightly and begs, "Please, please, please, plea-"

"Alright! I will do it, Gustave. I promise." He pats his son's back, then his hand slides up to his own face. Gustave keeps his face in his chest, silently telling his dad that he can take his time. Erik taps his back to let him know he can look.

Those seconds that Gustave pulls back feels like hours to Erik. Relief fills his heart as Gustave smiles with no fear in his eyes. His son moves in a little closer and starts to feel Erik's deformity with his finger. He is very gentle as he feels over the parts Erik hates most about himself. "You are beautiful."

Erik gasps as tears well up in his eyes, "My boy...you are too kind to me."

"No, I'm not! You are beautiful. So please don't wear your mask and wig around me anymore."

"I won't...thank you." He kisses Gustave's forehead and shakily sighs, "You are just like your mother; you find beauty in everything."

Gustave's eyes widened at the mention of his mom, then he smiles and rests his head on Erik's shoulder. "Mama said you were beautiful too."

Erik's grip tightens, his breathing stops for a moment, and he laughs sadly. "She was too kind too." He rests his cheek on the top of his son's head.

"I miss her," Gustave mumbles mournfully.

"I know, I do too," Erik responds with the same sad tone. It's silent for a moment, until he asks, "Would you like to play the organ with me?" That makes Gustave happier, he nods excitedly and slides off his lap to sit beside him on the bench. Erik turns around to face the organ. The two of them aren't alone for the rest of the night.