Freakshow Buddies

I had this idea for a while but didn't know where to go with it until my girlfriend singerandmaybewriter helped me so thank you!!!
This is my longest chapter so far sooo hope you enjoy!
————————————————————————
A small crowd forms around my attraction, it's nothing much; just me, a table, and my magic. Even some of the other performers sit and watch, some look entertained while others look bored out of their mind. I'll keep that in mind when it's time for their act.

I flip my hand and a few kids gasp seeing the sudden appearance of a card in my palm. I grin seeing their excited faces, I love to amaze them with such simple tricks. An annoyed father stands in front of me and pulls my sleeve down revealing my other hidden cards. He rolls his eyes while glancing at his kid, "It's nothing spectacular."

"Well okay party pooper!" I groan pulling my arm back towards my body. The crowd slowly disperses from my small illusions being broken, or perhaps from the annoyed father. My cards slip out my sleeve so I lean down to pick them up, that's when I feel eyes on me.

I glance up and a few feet away is the Living Dead out of his cage. In that moment I'm frozen, his cold eyes make my blood run cold. He watches me like a predator watches prey while I slowly stand straight up. He's quite scary until I realize something...he's a child just like me. On top of that he's like the master of illusions, imagine the things he could teach me. My fear washes away to excitement instead, he gasps once he seems me making my way over.

"Come to watch my show, death? While you're here I would love some tips."

   He stays silent as he watches me, I expect him to walk away but he doesn't. I cross my arms with a pout, "Well? Any advice? You were watching my show you must have something to say."

   He rolls his eyes at my persistence and mumbles, "You need to distract the audience more, make your less tricks obvious to them. Sleight of hand."

   "Then show me an example."

   Not even a second later his hand comes up and between his skinny fingers are my cards. I gasp and grab at my pockets to feel nothing. His mask hides his expression but just from his eyes I can tell how amused he is. We stare at each other for a few silent seconds until we both laugh. Once my giggles die down I smile, "We should work together! I think it could be quite fun."

His eyes widen from the suggestion, no one really likes to be near him so that's probably why he's surprised. While he is in his thoughts I see a figure coming up behind him, "Your master is here."

His demeanor completely changes, his body stiffens and he speaks through his teeth, "He is not my master. I have no master." 

The ringmaster grabs the Living Dead's arm and tugs him towards him, "What are you doing out?! Come with me."
He pushes him forward causing him to fall to the ground. The ringmaster gives me a fake smile, "I suggest you go back to where you belong as well."
He then stomps his foot down on the back of the child's back making him yell in pain. Before the pained child can respond he picks him back up by his shirt and pushes him where his tent is.
It's been a while since I got a beating like that, I feel terrible for him.

A few days past and in those days I kept seeking out the Living Dead, usually right after his shows. We do our best not to get caught talking to each other too much.

A few weeks past and we have gotten even closer. I learned the Living Dead's real name is Erik. Erik finally decided to help me with my magic, on top of that we've been doing small acts together. The ringmaster did find out about us doing magic acts together but surprisingly he was amused by this, he said we make a great team so he merged our attractions together. Now Erik and I do everything together.