⁷³, IN THE NIGHT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter seventy-three; In The Night
But you are my friend. And I am here with you. And I will not leave your side until you ask me to. "

**TW for mention of Rape**

THERE WAS A party that night. Elspeth knew Demetre, Sebastian, and Francis wouldn't be in attendance. She had been told, briefly, of their plan, and knew her part unfortunately was to continue business as usual. Play the part of a clueless fiancee, dress in her finery, dance, and drink and laugh with Mary and Kenna and Greer and Lola.

  It made her ill, but she did it nonetheless.

  "Is your corset too tight?"

  "No," Elspeth breathed out as Kenna joined her side, linking their arms together, "Have I been breathing?"

  "Hardly," Kenna responded simply, glancing around the party, "What's wrong? Where's Demetre?"

  "Business with Francis and Sebastian," Elspeth said, feeling her heart constrict at the mere idea of keeping anything from Kenna, "I only hope he's not working too hard. Not to mention Claude isn't too fond of me, and I can feel her glares every few moments."

  "Well, she isn't fond of me, either," Kenna pouted slightly, "She's ignored every invitation I've sent."

  "My advice is stop sending them until she matures to match her age," Elspeth mumbled.

  Kenna's brows raised, glancing at Elspeth as the woman sipped her wine quickly.

  "What makes you say that?"

  "Only the most pleasant interaction we had earlier," Elspeth sighed, patting Kenna's arm, "She had such wonderful things to say about me, my lowly station, my relationship with Catherine, my monster of a husband, and my cruelty that matches even his."

  "Your cruelty?" Kenna laughed, "My word, she must have truly gotten under your skin, Ellie."

  "One can do so quite easily by speaking ill of Demetre," Elspeth admitted, "I know that most of the world thinks him a monster, but I won't sit idly by while they say it."

  "He isn't a monster, and anyone that sees how he acts with you would know it in an instant."

  Elspeth looked to Kenna, smiling lightly as she squeezed the woman's arm.

  "Elspeth, Lady Kenna."

  The women both looked up at the greeting, only to be met with the kind smile of Louis.

  "Louis," Elspeth smiled in return, "How are you?"

  "As well as I could be," He said politely, "Your fiance isn't around, again?"