¹⁴, INTO THE WOODS

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fourteen; Into The Woods
"
 Come with me, or stay here, but you will not stop me. "

  ELSPETH LIENS WAS on her way to find Kenna

  ELSPETH LIENS WAS on her way to find Kenna. Honest, that was what she'd set out to do, but the moment she opened the door to her chambers, Demetre Langlois panicked at the idea of her going anywhere.

  "You shouldn't be wandering around the castle," Demetre chastised, "There may be foes around every corner, Petal."

  "You speak of foes and yet you have no intention of helping us learn how to stop them."

  Demetre retracted at her harsh words.

  "Elspeth, I can't. . . I can't help you."

  "You know more about those woods and what resides in them than anyone else on castle grounds."

  "I'm not denying that Petal," He stressed, fighting the urge to physically shake this idea out of her head, "If I could, I'd do everything in my power to protect you-- but there are rules, reasons, agreements I've made so all I can do, is guard your rooms and walk with you when Bash is not at your side. . ."

  Elspeth's hands dropped in disappointment, the woman twisted her lips to the side.

  "Are you in danger, too?"

  And Demetre frowned, refusing to fight the urge any longer and clasping his hands around her own-- large, rough callouses encasing small fragile palms.

  "Do not waste your time worrying of the danger that will always follow me, Elspeth," He said gently, "You have other worries, more important ones."

  "What's more important than one of my closest friends?"

  "Diane De Poitiers summons, perhaps. She wishes to meet with you tonight."

  Elspeth's face drained of all color in a second, and Demetre smiled as he escorted her to the art wing and started a quick crash course on the woman who was to be her mother-in-law.

 Diane De Poitiers was a regal woman. Pointed features that shadowed Sebastian's, it unnerved Elspeth despite her rigorous training from her parents.

  It did not help that Sebastian had merely introduced them before taking off to find more answers.

  "Is Paris lovely?"

  Diane raised an eyebrow at the soft question.

  "I apologize," Elspeth mumbled, looking to her lap briefly, "I'm afraid I was unprepared for this meeting."

  "I think you were more than prepared for meeting any noblewoman," Diane finally spoke, crossing her arms, "Do you know what my son does for you as we speak?"