¹³, MEANING OF THE STAG

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirteen; Meaning of The Stag
" I suppose if you can handle the threat of pagans, you can handle my mother. "

  THE SUN PEEKED through France's blossoming trees, shining down on the six Scottish women walking between them

  THE SUN PEEKED through France's blossoming trees, shining down on the six Scottish women walking between them. Elspeth had managed to gain some rest despite Sebastian's words that floated in her head.

  She couldn't help but wonder what had happened to make him so insistent about the Blood Wood.

  But right now, she was focused on the King's return. 

  And the strange taste Sebastian had in gifts.

  "Join us, Kenna," Mary greeted, "We're going to greet the King."

  Kenna fell in line, her dazzling attire catching the eye of all five ladies.

  "You look especially lovely, Kenna," Greer smiled, "Who are you dressed to impress?"

  Elspeth watched Kenna's face fall in panic, and smoothly interrupted the disaster waiting to happen.

  "I have to assume it's Lord Demetre," Elspeth smiled as Kenna let out a deep breath, "Surely he's awaiting the King's return, same as everyone else."

  "Of course," Kenna agreed quickly.

  "Even so, can't Kenna be lovely simply because she is lovely?" Mary interjected, holding out a hand for Kenna to take, "And you are lovely."

  They shared a few hushed words before Kenna resumed her place beside a concerned Elspeth, just as Sebastian De Poitiers approached the women. Kenna gave a smile as Elspeth started towards the man.

  "You look lovely."

  "Thank you," Elspeth smiled widely, smoothing down her dress, "And. . . well, I do suppose I should also thank you for the necklace, but. . . I just don't understand it."

  "Necklace?" Sebastian questioned, furrowing his brows, "What necklace?"

  Elspeth's heart dropped as she held her palm open, showcasing the stag's head necklace that had appeared on her bedside.

  "Is it not from you?" She asked worriedly, "I assumed you were the only one who would send something while I was asleep—"

  "No one else should have," He mumbled, gently taking the necklace from her hands and stuffing it in his pocket, "We'll discuss this later, but for now all I wish is you don't leave my sight, okay?"

  Elspeth nodded worriedly, though she was unable to ask any further questions as the sound of an approaching carriage interrupted all thoughts.

  The royal carriage came to a halt, outstepping the decorated King. Though what came as a shock to all, was Diane De Poitiers following out after the man.